 Off-Topic / Debate / 2964
Re: Taxes from Lego auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 03:19:08 GMT

By making the bomb more or less efficient with the same amount of
material, you can make it have a blast of between approx 10 kiloton
TNT and 20 Megaton TNT. For fission bombs, which most likely is all
that the third-world nuclear powerslike India, Pakistan, Israel, etc.
have, 20 megaton is the limit. I'd expect Pakistan to be capable of
between 100 kiloton and 1 megaton or so, based on that one test which
was 100 kiloton IIRC.

Nope.  Between 1.5Kt and 20-40Kt for a straight Fission weapon.  Dirtyness has
very little to do with the weapon itself.  If the bomb is a airburst, then it
will be relatively clean, if it is a ground burst, it will be dirty (it takes
the crap off the ground with it, and irradiates it...most of the fallout is not
bomb material in and of itself, but dirt/water that is too close to the bomb
and gets irradiated.

To make a long story short, a 100 kiloton bomb makes for a lot of
radioactive fallout. Plus half a continent blasted completely clear of
working microchips due to the EMP (nukes tend to generate funky
electromagnetic fields which tend to conk out anything electronic not
inside a Faraday cage. That's commercial life down.).

Not as bad as that...it depends on altitude.  If the bomb is a FOBS or similar,
then yes, I can see 1/2 continent.  If it is a normal bomb delivered by plane,
the effects will be limited to around line of sight + propigation (wierd
numbers start coming into play here...)

James Powell (See my last message for the disclamer)