 Off-Topic / Debate / 2926
Re: Panaka is yellow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
But with Star Wars, they have three basic

1) Brown Lando
2) Yellow Lando
3) No Lando

Option one makes them look bad for not having multi-racial minifigs before (or
after, if they don't start introducing them into other lines).

Perhaps Lego could just say they were all Danish before.  ;-)

At any rate, whatever political condemnation TLC might get, not only would it
be minor and virtually unheard by the REAL target market (i.e. the kiddies'
parents, which may be more interested in their children's bleatings than those
of Rev. Al), but I believe it would also be A) only temporary, lasting perhaps
the two years it would take for all the "yellowhead" sets to disappear from the
shelves, and B) it could be heavily overshadowed by a very cool "We Are The
World" standpoint of some sort.

This standpoint could be achieved as follows:  Lego could produce heads and
hands in a range of 4 or 5 skin tones all at once (thus eclipsing whatever
Lando issues there'd be if he was the "only black mini-fig"), ranging from
Scottish tan to African brown (both colors are currently used in pieces
anyway), and everything in-between (theres a few ochres in the mix that might
work...I'm no authority, though).  They could be scattered all over the 2001
sets...the New Faces of the millenium!  This extraordinarily forward approach
to internationalism would far over-shadow any negative underpinnings.

And what a bold, amazingly positive thing for any toy company to at least
attempt to try, and the timing couldn't be better in this season of change.

Perhaps in 2001, only a few new "yellowhead" sets would be introduced, enabling
EVERYTHING before 2002 to be obsolete when that year comes (this would p*** off
a lot of people though).  Another approach would be to simply blend the new
Nationalities gradually over time.

Starting with Lando and Panaka, of course.  :-)

Dave

xxxxxxx