 Off-Topic / Debate / *25431 (-100)
  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) No ... he was attempting to comply with the ToS and proposed a solution when he was cut off at the knees. That's my belief having read the discussion *and* having spoken with Lar. I'll defend him based on the interactions I've observed (recent (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) He changed the wording from TOS violation, to non-TOS violation. So why was he banned? -Rob. (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) The issue is *not* that Lar is receiving preferential treatment. The issue as I see it (based on my observation of historical events on BL and conversations with many others who observed same events) that Lar is getting exceptional unfavorable (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I am not sure, but I haven't seen anything from Lar saying that he is mad or thinks he was treated unjust. If he has, I'll have to rethink my position (...) I agree, he was rightfully banned, no argueing there. But on the other hand, the rules (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) But the disobedient civilian must accept the price for his disobedience, otherwise it's just posturing like a rhinoceros. In the same way that a journalist should be willing to go to jail to protect his treasonous source, a Bricklink customer (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I think that the point Suz was trying to make is that often Lar is right. When Lar sees a problem, he doesn't stay quiet and live with it. He tried to fix the problem. In this case, he used something like civil disobedience to make a point. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) **snip** We Daves know many stories, some of them true. I suspect that you probably meant Dan in this context, but on behalf of my namesakes I thank you for including us! Dave! (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

My post was based only on undisputed comments. Scott A (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) In my whole life I have never corresponded with a more ardent proponent of the free market system than Lar, so I'm confident that Lar would assert that Bricklink is not a natural monopoly. As such, if the market will bear a second online bulk (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I think its clear to me and everyone else that if there were other names involved in this, there would be no discussion. However, as this thread goes on, there is more and more speculation, name calling, flaming, etc. going on. Since Dave and (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Do not overestimate the influence of Lar over at BL. He has many detractors there and I'm not sure everyone will be displeased by his store being closed. I myself couldn't care less because I'm not visiting BL more than a couple times a year (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I'm sorry, but this strikes me as a direct affront to the whole point of an online market facilitator like Bricklink. You seem to be suggesting that anyone with sufficient name-recognition can, with impunity, dictate terms to his service (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Even when a seller deliberately continues to break the ToS, and as a result potentially disenfranchises buyers? (...) Perhaps somebody should compete? One could argue that BL is too big now, and that a basic "sets only" or "minifig only" (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Look at what has happened. The seller deliberately continued to break the ToS! Given that Dan has a duty to protect buyers; how else could he react? You appear to be suggesting he should have renegotiated the ToS!? Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I'm not sure I'd say that it needs him so much as would be better off *with* him than without, particularly if 'without' means bad press. (...) You *are* expressing an opinion, but that wasn't my point there. The "the most off base comment" (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

important: FTR, I had/have NO emotional reaction to all this. I only reacted because I see that there may be a big change coming up in the market world, begun by this simple little post. If it wasn't this, I think it could have been some other thing (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) unfortunately, I don't have time right now to do a big defense of my personal opinion, or read other posts in this thread, but quickly I will spell out for you what it was my brief comment meant: My gut tells me that the Average Joe does NOT (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops)

  Re: Preaching to the Choir

(...) Although you disclaim honestly that your position is difficult to justify logically, your subsequent statement is still argument by assertion. Let me ask for a little clarification: What do you mean by "all things being equal" in this context? (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Ok, that comment might have been over the top, but from my point of view, so was Dan's decision to boot Larry. (...) I'm not debating that BrickLink helped the hobby, I've certainly benefited from it's presence. As for Thanks, I thanked him (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Dan deserves quite a bit of thanks for what he's done. However, unlike many sites, BL was created as a business venture rather than a totally benevolent effort. People pay Dan to list their wares, they're buying a service. If Dan knows what's (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I have a lot of respect for Dan and what he does at BL, to call him a "crazed dictator" is silly. (...) ...because Dan saw a simple idea which he invested his time and cash in. Anyone else could have done the same (e.g Todd), but only Dan (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) If he doesn't explain himself and continues to run his business (1) like a crazed dictator than other users may worry that continued investment in BrickLink is not going to yeild returns. Examples - I've been pondering re-opening my Bricklink (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) ok, so take off the 'so bad' ;) But still, I do not see WHY Bricklink NEEDS Larry. And am more than curious as to why she thinks it does need him - in any way in any amount. (...) No, I am expressing an opinion, just as she did. I do not think (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) 1st off, that's not what she said. She said BL needs Lar MORE THAN Lar needs BL. If, on a scale from 1 to 10, Lar needs BL at a 1, then the implication is that BL needs Larry at *least* 1, but probably more. She's not saying that BL will (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Pat Buchanan's "Where the Right Went Wrong"

Just saw (URL) this> on drudge... Very interesting read. (URL) Mladen Pejic> (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Good point. Of course, I was intimating to (URL) this>. (...) Sorry, I have a cold. ;-) (...) lol Some help Google™ was! I was (URL) HERE!> Guess I need to bone up on the ol' Norse Mythology! (...) You obviously never saw PYTHON. I bought the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

Hello! (...) It does not. (...) And that's why people like SS uniforms and find them cool? (...) That's true. And I regularly get pleasantly surprised by a better reality than I had assumed beforehand. Better, not best. (...) That's a possible (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Actually, considering he has been rolling dice with death for 40 years and surviving, I'd have to disagree with that. (...) You weren't paying attention. :-) (...) "Doom of the Gods." Gotterdammerung, but I don't remember how to spell that. (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Preaching to the Choir

(...) Well that's a different question, and I gave my (also difficult to logically justify) view (URL) elsewhere>. Do you believe every child deserves a mother and father? ROSCO (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote: (snip) (...) Isn't he that guy who is lousy at winning bets? (...) Well I have a tough enough time IRL so I'm not privy to this world. Perhaps that is why there are such things? :-) (...) I'm (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Preaching to the Choir

(...) Hear is the $64,000 question for me: All things being equal, is it more desirable for a child to have both a mother and a father to raise them, and if so, why? I happen to believe it is better, though articulating that belief is difficult to (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Preaching to the Choir

(...) OK, 40 hours on planes gives one a little time to mull things over, so here's my take on this. I think parents/guardians have the responsibility to bring up their children the best they can. Many fall way short, but many also do a pretty good (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) "God not only plays dice, he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen." -S.Hawkins -Any role-playing Game-Master Perhaps you should get religion and become a gamer. :-) Divine revelation and interpretation: The Green-Eyed Devil's (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote: (snip) (...) You lost me at "Final Fantasy", GEDA (not to be confused with "Yoda"-- AFAIK). I am not a "Gamer", (not to be confused with a "Goer" -- Are you uh, uh a Goer?), so I may need a (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Evolution... it never ends

(...) Of course, which is why such "solutions" have no place being taught in a public science classrooms. They belong in church instead. Keep in mind this is pretty much an issue being driven by Creationists - not all religious people in general. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) God was always threatening to do that anyway, so that's nothing new... God: Wars, torture, greed, stupidity, short-sightedness, vanity...I've put up with these forever and still haven't brought things to an end. But these humans have gone too (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

"Johannes 'Jojo' Koehler" <chutspe@gmx.net> wrote in message news:I2psB6.I3w@lugnet.com... (...) because (...) How does collecting dishes hurt society? People collect all kinds of things used by famous figures in history. Their fascination is more (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Ross Crawford" <rosscraw@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:I2pwDy.12H2@lugnet.com... (...) rough (...) Funny, I find clone bricks offensive. :P It's a lot easier to moderate if you have vague guidelines. (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) I think the common misconception is that most normal people can't understand why they care about things. IE "Why do I care if spotted owls become extinct? Why do I care if someone I don't know gets tortured?" Notice, it's not "Why *should* I (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Evolution... it never ends

(...) They are all (excepting nipples) vestigal remnants of things that were useful in the past (warmth,digestion,tail). The original need for those things has disapeared and in fact they have proved better not to have so natural selection has bred (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Evolution... it never ends

Do you have a "not so well designed" case (...) I do, teeth! if they were well designed they would be made of something that is not affected by food! Tim (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Evolution... it never ends

(...) Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is the point of Creation (and religion) not that it needs no "SCIENTIFIC model"? It is a simple solution to a complex question: “What am I ?”. (...) My body hair, nipples, appendix and coccyx all appear to have no (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) You've set up your claim as a one-premiss argument: P1: God did not create Life ---therefore---...--- C1: Life has no value However, this statement is true only if and only if life's value must be injected by an outside agency, be it God or (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) In order to test your suggestion, I must ask that you present to me something in nature that, in your judgment, was not designed by God and also something that, in your view, *was* designed by God. Are you able to provide examples of each? If (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

hello! (...) Great! In this case I come up with another provocative thesis: If there was no God that gave Life™ this life wouldn't have any value at all. In that case life was just matter that accidentally interachts in a way predetermined by laws (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

The parody of the US had occured to me too, it depend how you translate it. Tim (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Evolution... it never ends

(...) You are free to suggest any model or theory you want. But if you want to challenge an existing scientific model, then you need to present an alternative SCIENTIFIC model. So far no one has presented a scientific model for intelligent design. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) However, you have to consider the fact that the experiments were performed already knowing such compounds existed, whereas the billions of years of evolution probably had no such knowledge. ROSCO (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) AFAIK, clones are OK on Brickshelf. It would be useful if Kevin posted a rough indication of the guidelines he uses though. ROSCO (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) And with good reason, since the Empire was essentially a fascist governmnent with a leader who (as we later learned) was accidentally elected to the leader-for-life position, much like Hitler was (though the circumstances were considerably (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Surely the models can be allowed to evolve. Then models with God as the designer can be compared with models without a designer and the results compared. i.e. you can determine for yourself whether it makes more sense for there to be a God who (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

Hello! (...) Yes, the Nazis were quite good at this. And you may be intelligent enough to differentiate between the aesthetic shape of the Nazi brand and the not at all excusable ideology. But I highly doubt everybody is able to differ or even wants (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) What about images with clone brand bricks? I ask for two reasons, the second of which is that these faux-Reich models include a considerable number of MEGABLOKS elements. If clones are verboten, then the pictures could be bounced for that (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) I'm not a moderator or anything, but I think the intention was really to prevent people from posting non-Lego things, and not really offensive things. So if someone wants to post Lego porn or Lego violence, that's potentially acceptable (if I (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Johannes 'Jojo' Koehler" <chutspe@gmx.net> wrote in message news:I2pBv7.1uJp@lugnet.com... (...) I disagree. I recognize the amazing talent of Nazi designers of the time. Their engineers especially, but also their graphic designers. Nazi (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) Yes, I'm a lurker, but I decided to throw in my two cents on this considering I'm fluent in German (and am actually posting from Berlin right now). For all you non-German speakers "Vereinigte Staaten" is German for the United States. (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) I can't speak to the builder's inspiration, but having actually *read* some of the smack in his MOCpages account, we can assume the following about the Iron Reich: - It glorifies big, old grey walls - It glorifies big-ass numbers embedded in (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.space)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

Hello! (...) Yes. Those people think Nazi symbols and uniforms are cool because of the background, not because of their sheer look. And who thinks things with that background are "cool" is an idiot. That's what I think. I don't deny the fascination (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) For a thorough debunking of the "infinite monkeys" myth, I recommend Richard Dawkins' book "The Blind Watchmaker," which gives a great explanation of why that model is flawed as a representation of evolution or of the origins of life. Beyond (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) I'd like to point out a difference between "trivialization" and "satire." Much of what Keith and I do is to satirize and mock the ideologies of our respective subthemes. (However, I should point out I am a socialist/communist, but I am not a (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Anyone from Sweden here?

(...) Now it is. :) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anyone from Sweden here?

(...) In Scotland they are known as "neeps" or turnips, and are part of our national dish of "Haggis, Neeps and Tatties". When I was a kid, we used to hollow larger ones out to make Holloween lanterns (not an easy thing to do). Scott A (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anyone from Sweden here?

"Scott A" <dr_scott_arthur@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:I2MzA1.1y4v@lugnet.com... (...) other (...) No, stupidity is international.. =) (Can´t understand why someone would eat that kind of thing..) /J (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Mark Jordan" <mark.jordan@oracle.com> wrote in message news:I2oruA.JMG@lugnet.com... (...) There (...) and (...) title for (...) it as (...) I understand now then. My German isn't good enough to have seen 'Fascist'. That certainly does lean it more (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) Or George Lucas, whose Imperial forces uniforms (and names - stormtroopers) are pretty clearly inspired by Nazi imagery. Which then carry through to standard Lego sets... Talk about slippery slopes... (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) My German might not always be spot on, but I can see "Fascist" in the title for the page. According to the Google language tool, it means something like "vehicles OF combined fascist states new of the realm". I would translate it as "Vehicles (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Johannes 'Jojo' Koehler" <chutspe@gmx.net> wrote in message news:I2ntIn.1F7H@lugnet.com... (...) pass (...) since (...) There was a first and second reich that had nothing to do with Nazi's. There is no Nazi insignia or imagery. I can fully (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) There is a bunch of this kind of thing in .space too. (URL) are some more questions to ponder: - are the Brickshelf pics glorifying Nazism, parodying Nazism, or drawing on the Nazi aesthetic for ideas - or something else? - is the .space Iron (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.space)

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate "Johannes 'Jojo' Koehler" <chutspe@gmx.net> wrote in message news:I2ntIn.1F7H@lugnet.com... (...) Talk about a slippery slope... There are a lot of people who think Nazi uniforms, logos, designs, and equipment were (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) Well... I have terrorist minifigs as the Global Islamic Liberation Front. (URL) terrorism is not "romanticized" as they tend to get butt-kicked by the Chinese like here... (also my super-tank is bullying that dark gray Panzer) hehe. (URL) not (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Your analogy is a rather poor one, because you imply that either sentient capabilities are required to assemble a complex form directly from simple parts or a (complex) assembler would have to be randomly generated. First, most abiogenesis (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) Orion, perhaps you are right and the majority of people concur, but let me explain myself. Creating WWII-themed guns, minifigs, tanks, dioramas, etc. is okay in my opinion since it is recreating something from the past (it's historical). For (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) For what it's worth, I disagree that this is an issue. First, I do agree that Hitler and his regeme were terrible. Second, simple naming a folder with a Nazi name does not equate the the condoning of the Nazi ideal. What if the particular (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) Johannes, I agree whole-heartedly with you. It's amazing that the moderators would let something like this pass. I'm always appalled by how ignorant and insensitive some people are, especially about something as well documented as WWII. If (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Isn't that something like comparing an individual's ability to reproduce the complete works of Shakespeare from memory with a fleet of monkeys being able to randomly bang them out on typewriters? (...) It would be more significant if he'd (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Hello Jojo: By all means, feel free to chime in. That's what the forum is for! Regarding the thunderbolt & amino acids, you're referring to Miller's experiments in the 1950's. These experiments revealed much that was promising, though they (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

Hello! (...) "aircraft of the new german reich" "vehicles of Vereinigte Faschistische Staaten des Neues Reichs" Reich = Empire. That's not an offensive word by itself. But in combination with "faschistisch = fascist" it's clear the Third Reich (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism

(...) Ferget about that one. I'd actually be more worried that someone does re-enact that in a lab before we're prepared for the consequences. And not so long ago you may have said the same thing about just the thunderbolt part. How 'bout this? What (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

(...) (SNIP of some very good observations) (...) I suppose a good translation for us non-germans might be in order ;) ~Kevin Kevoh Kevvy Blocksidge (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) Hmm. I noted the date before I cited the text. The fact that the date is in very large text at the bottom of the page should be enough for anyone! (...) WOW. September 1992! (...) Hardly an independent assessment! For now I'll stick to the (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) Or you could say, "oops, a small part of that information is outdated". ;) (...) But everyone here, and the site I cited, appears to feel the quiz does not do that. Why do you think different? (...) What makes you think that is my view? (...) (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Anyone from Sweden here?

(...) I ate a (URL) Swede> the other day; does that make me part Swedish? Scott A (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Keeping the Peace in Nablus

Hmm, I never knew you were a holocaust denying anti-Semite. As such you clearly have no understanding of the IDF’s (URL) Ethical Standards>: Israel has a principle that weapons and force can only be used for the purpose of a military operation and (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

Hello! Sorry for chiming in but this topic sounds interesting. Of cóurse I didn't read the whole thread so please ignore my post if its a repost of the contents. (...) How about The Life™? I can't believe that's just the result of a thunderbolt (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) In the face of inconsistent sunrise results, you might decide that the celestial mechanics were invalid and that you cannot prove whether the sun will rise tomorrow, thus being agnostic. If the results were consistently wrong, you would just (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?

Hello! A few minutes ago I stumbled accross this folder: (URL) "aircraft of the new german reich" Following the Up button in the folder thread I also found this: (URL) of Vereinigte Faschistische Staaten des Neues Reichs" And I wonder: What on earth (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Keeping the Peace in Nablus

(URL) This> will surely secure the safety of Israeli citizens. Congratulations to the Israeli military for exercising restraint in their thoughtful self-defense. And (URL) a link to a picture of the dangerous Palestinian killed just before he could (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Anyone from Sweden here?

Is there anyone else from Sweden here? Jörgen (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) That would involve admitting that an error was made... (...) Try this search: (URL) you'll find some cites that do indicate that we spend a lot of our GNP on healhcare, for instance this one (URL) this one (URL) these sorts of studies seem to (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) Absence of faith in something leads to faith in nothing. If you didn't understand rudimentary celestial mechanics, you would continue on with no faith that _tomorrow_ that sun was just not going to rise. Every time someone told you that (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <dr_scott_arthur@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:I2LoEK.15Cw@lugnet.com... (...) leanings (...) lot (...) Or you could say "oops, that information is outdated". (...) It could be slanted by any nuimber of factors. The point of the quiz (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) A very big question in few words! The relationship is multi-faceted and includes the following things: Saviour: how you relate to someone who has saved your life by sacrificing theirs. Father: including support, protection, provision and love. (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) Hmm. John Neal (URL) told me> it was 93%. If true, I'm sure he'd settle for 50%. ;) Scott A (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) Yes, it's a plurality, not a majority, but the point is that if 34.9% of people are "Libertarian", then why is the Libertarian party so tiny and so one-dimensional (white, male, middle to upper-middle class)? (...) Truer words were never (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) The spin of the questions is such to try and promote Libertarianism. Look! You are a Libertarian and didn't know it! On the other hand, I don't agree with the bipolar left/right only viewpoint, and that is part of the mentality that this is (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) (Choose A if you agree, M for Maybe, D if you disagree.) Any media outlet and any individual on the Internet should be allowed to publish with no regard for truth, accuracy, or damage done. Even in times of crisis, the government should be (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

(...) Please check the date on the site I cited. (...) Can the results be slanted by some sort of "bot"? (...) I'm sorry! Please don't invade my tiny country! ;) (...) I'm not sure 'Right-Conservative' = fascist ? (...) From the quiz: (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)

(...) What is the nature of this relationship? Do you and God go out for pizza together? Who picks up the check? My example is admittedly facetious, but the underlying question is sound. Do you consider yourself to have a "relationship" with anyone (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: World's Smallest Political Quiz

"Scott A" <dr_scott_arthur@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:I2L399.1nDq@lugnet.com... (...) The site you linked says "Did you discover you were a libertarian? As the results show, the overwhelming majority of the 800,000+ people who have taken (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Preaching to the Choir

(...) Except that a vote for onanism is unlikely to start any more wars. Dave! (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact