 Off-Topic / Debate / 25340
Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:59:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Bellis wrote:

A Christian has relationship with God.

What is the nature of this relationship?  Do you and God go out for pizza
together?  Who picks up the check?  My example is admittedly facetious, but the
underlying question is sound.

A very big question in few words!
The relationship is multi-faceted and includes the following things:
Saviour: how you relate to someone who has saved your life by sacrificing
theirs.
Father: including support, protection, provision and love.
Brother: some similar aspects, also companionship and teamwork.
Friend: dependability
Prophet: He knows everything about me
Priest: someone who brings me out of isolation from God and facilitates
relationship with him.
King: His word goes, but as a servant I *want* to serve him - this is not
involuntary slavery.
Advocate: standing in the gap for me, both in the face of evil (definition as
used in the Bible) and before the judgement throne of God.

There are more facets, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Yes, if I go for a pizza, God comes too, but he doesn't need to eat physical
pizza :-)
Everything I have belongs to God and he has made me steward of it.  Paying for
the pizza from the money God has provided from my employer is his way of
providing me with food.

Do you consider yourself to have a "relationship" with anyone other than God?
What is the nature of your relationship with that other person?  What traits
does your God-relationship have in common with your non-God-relationship?

My relationship with my wife includes friend and elements of sister and
advocate.  The one-ness of marriage is designed to be a reflection of the
oneness between Jesus Christ and his church, which the Bible describes as a
bride.
Describimg the other facets:
I have other friends.
No-one has yet saved my life by sacrificing theirs, though my mum came close
during her 20 year battle with cancer, sacrificing herself in order to bring me
through to adulthood.
My dad has done his best as a father.
I have a sister.  We get on better now as adults.  I have more teamwork with my
wife.
Some of my Christian friends have acted as prophet or priest at different times,
as I have for them.
I have been under authority, sometimes more voluntarily than others.  The
demands of those in authority are not always reasonable.
Various people have stuck up for me.

Other
than God, do you have relationships with anyone whose existence you can not
easily demonstrate to me in a basically non-contestable way?  Can you introduce
me to God (perhaps when we all go out for pizza) in such a way that a reasonable
person cannot afterwards say that God wasn't at the meeting?  Please don't
resort to parables or metaphors as evidence for his presence at the meeting.

The only hard evidence I have for my mother's existence is a photo and a birth
certificate, but is that enough?  It would be quite possible to fabricate such
evidence, so that it remains contestable.  I might have been an immaculate
conception in a test tube :-)

If you are adamant that God doesn't exist or that if he does, you don't want to
know, then you are closing yourself to the possibility that he might reveal
himself to you.  If you are prepared to entertain the possibility that he might,
to the extent that you might ask him to do so, then sooner or later he will.

This one might be better explained on an Alpha course, which is a place to find
out about Christianity without requiring any commitment afterwards.  The
opportunity is there to meet with God, if you wish.  It's better done in person,
rather than online!

I knew a woman about 15 years ago who suffered from schizophrenia.  One
manifestation of her illness was the absolutely certain awareness that a man
named "Terry" was real and in the room with her at particular times.  This even
occurred on several occasions while I was with her.  She maintained that she had
a relationship with Terry, even though Terry was a figment of her illness.  To
demonstrate this to herself, she forced herself to realize that Terry could not
in any way make his presence known to other people, but she was still unable to
convince herself that he was not real.  How do you propose to demonstrate the
reality of God in a way that would be different from my friend's efforts to
demonstrate the reality of Terry?

Go does reveal himself to people in ways that "Terry" could not.  It is up to
God to demonstrate his reality, but you must give him a chance, rather than
insisting on non-contestable proof up front.  If all the evidence were on a
plate, there would be no need for faith.

This example is obviously quite similar to the portrayal of John Nash's
schizophrenia in "A Beautiful Mind," and I probably wouldn't have understood the
potential impact of the disease without having experienced its impact upon my
friend.

Yes, I have very little understanding of the condition!

This is based on faith, but acting on
faith brings experience.  With experience, faith gains vision and is no longer
blind.  It is a virtuous circle.

A circle, to be sure.  Virtuous?  Time will tell.

Is there anything that could make you say "Hey, I was wrong about that" and
reject what you have thus far identified as your faith?  If not, then I submit
that you've merely set yourself up in a non-falsifiable belief system, and
systems that cannot--even in theory--be wrong are of little value when they're
right.

I am often wrong, but faith gets up, dusts itself off and perseveres!  The
details of my beliefs adapt if I find that I am wrong.

It takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to believe that there is a god
of some sort.

I have no faith in any supernatural phenomena or entities.  How does this
require more faith than that required to believe in a non-provable supernatural
being?

But absence of faith in something is not faith in nothing.  Faith in nothing
takes a lot of faith!  I suggest that all the unexplainable things lead people
towards believing in something rather than nothing, assuming they don't remain
agnostic.

People have not yet managed to grow a tree from a jar of
chemicals, so there is still a big gap in science.  If science is not
all-powerful then something else must be.

Science does not claim to be all-powerful.  Even if it did so, then its failure
to *be* all-powerful would not require that some other all-powerful entity must
exist.  You've proposed what is commonly termed a "false dilemma."

Call it 'god', since that's what
others use to explain things that science can't explain.  This argument is not
what I actually believe, but how well do you think the logic works?

That argument is well established, but it's ultimately a fallacy.  The
short-hand way of referring to it is the "God of the gaps" argument, which is to
say that "God" is whatever science can't currently explain.  The problem with
this is that it's an endlessly retreating position, relegating "God" to
ever-diminishing parts of the universe--hardly a worthy posture for the
Almighty. Let's say that at some point we can explain everything except how this
particular quark interacts with that particular quark.  God, in this case, will
have been reduced to the Lord of These Two Quarks.  Is that the entity you want
to worship?

I see science just discovering more of what God put in place, rather than taking
over from God in any area.

The chinese word for 'agnostic' is composed of 3 characters, meaning "not can
know".  I wonder if there's any correlation between people who have trouble
trusting others and those who subscribe to type 1 agnosticism?

Intelligent trust is based upon experience and the perception of prior behavior.
If you trust someone sight unseen, then that is indeed a statement of faith.  I
can see no reason to trust without good evidence that such trust is well-placed.

Dave!

Mark