 Off-Topic / Debate / 25342
Re: Atheism (was: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:06:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Bellis wrote:

I have no faith in any supernatural phenomena or entities.  How does this
require more faith than that required to believe in a non-provable supernatural
being?

But absence of faith in something is not faith in nothing.  Faith in nothing
takes a lot of faith!  I suggest that all the unexplainable things lead
people towards believing in something rather than nothing, assuming they
don't remain agnostic.

Absence of faith in something leads to faith in nothing.

If you didn't understand rudimentary celestial mechanics, you would continue on
with no faith that _tomorrow_ that sun was just not going to rise.  Every time
someone told you that tomorrow was going to be the day that the sun didn't rise
and then the sun rose, you would gain faith that *no* day would be the day that
sun wouldn't rise.

It's just that way with your notion of God.  After being surrounded by people
assuring me that this God exists for so long (34 years, in my case) and seeing
not one tiny little shred of evidence (I mean, not even a hint) day after day,
year after year, I'm pretty confident that you're made a common mistake.

And this doesn't take any faith at all.  I'm just accepting the most plausible
explanation that fits the evidence.  If that changes, though I admit to being
not particularly open to the possibility, then I'll reassess my beliefs.  I do
find it curious though, that this 'atheism takes a lot of faith' idea is so
commonly held by your side of things.

And finally, what things do you mean when you refer to "all the unexplainable
things?"  I'm not actually aware of any.

Chris