 Off-Topic / Debate / 25378
Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Johannes Koehler wrote:
And yes, I'm against the censorship on BrickShelf. For my part this folder I
mentioned doesn't need to be removed. However, now that we have the
censorship it should at least be fair. So one person may find the picture of
a female bosom covered by a LEGO-shirt offensive (That's what started the
whole censorship affair on BS) because things like that poisen childeren's
minds... Well, I don't think so. I instead find glorification of fascism
offensive and poisoning people's minds. But that seems not to be an issue for
the censors/moderators.

I'm not a moderator or anything, but I think the intention was really to prevent
people from posting non-Lego things, and not really offensive things. So if
someone wants to post Lego porn or Lego violence, that's potentially acceptable
(if I understand the moderation correctly), but posting a picture of an actual
family picnic is NOT acceptable (because it's not Lego related).

Of course, way back when, nobody minded, because people would upload site
graphics, pictures of themselves, and other tidbits, and even though it wasn't
Lego, it wasn't hurting anyone. But when someone posted some pictures that were
both non-lego AND were highly offensive to some people, it forced moderation to
happen.

You'll probably still see non-Lego things slip in now and again, but from my
understanding, anything Lego is ok. (Of course if you posted a picture of Lego
bricks alongside some actually offensive things [genitalia or whatever], it
would probably still get censored, since it's really up to the moderators, and
that'd probably cross the line).

DaveE