 Off-Topic / Debate / 25405
Re: What's actually the task of the moderators on BrickShelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:40:14 GMT

Hello!

How does collecting dishes hurt society?

It does not.

People collect all kinds of things used by famous figures in history.  Their
fascination is more with a tangible connection to historical events than
agreement and support of those events.  Others might even collect things
from individuals they disagree strongly with.  In a society that holds high
regard for personal posessions, it might be considered an insult to allow
them to fall into the hands of "the enemy" of that famous person.  So, a
Jewish person might think it a small form of personal revenge to own one of
Hitler's dinner plates.  Hitler would ceartainly dissaprove - so it could be
seen as some small way to torment him for eternity.

And that's why people like SS uniforms and find them cool?

The point is, you have no way of knowing what people are thinking - yet you
choose to irrationally assume the worst.

That's true. And I regularly get pleasantly surprised by a better reality than I
had assumed beforehand. Better, not best.

The funny thing about this is that at first you were offended because you
thought the models glorified the Holocaust in some way, but it turns out
that the person may simply be making fun of the USA by referring to the the
"United Fascist States".  I think that is a more plausible explanation,
given the current global political climate.  Does that offend you any less?

That's a possible explanation yet doesn't explain the phrase "new _german_
reich".

I think Jim Dolan's take on things makes more sense.  Just some European who
is trying to draw paralells between the US and the fascist reich.

OK. That's not offending at all obviously.

Well, look at the bright side of WWII.  Ever since, the people of the world
have been unainmous in the view that ethnic clensing is evil - and they step
in to stop it...  eventually.  Though not everyone has learned the lesson.
We need only to look to the Darfur region of Sudan for evidence of that.  At
least the International community is moving against it...  even if it is
painfully slow.

I think the world was unanimous against Nazi-Germany because this German Reich
made war on them or threatened them what's fully understandable (the reaction of
the world I mean). They didn't know what horrible things happened in the
concentration camps so this was not the reason for striking back. At least they
did not much to prevent these things to happen (like bombing the railways to the
concentration camps or something like that. I don't know if they had any
possibility to do something if they had known.)

The Germans I know seem to love America through thick and thin.  One of them
was helped by "The Berlin Airlift" as a child.  I guess he finds it
difficult to forget.

The feelings of most Germans towards America are mixed right now. On the one
hand America still is "our brother" that freed us from the Nazis (along with the
English and even the Russians at that point of time). We obviously appreciate
great parts of the American culture and (try to) adapt to them.

On the other hand many of us do not like how arrogantly the American
administration acts sometimes, not caring for the interests of the rest of the
world. For example the Kyoto Protocol and other international conventions don't
seem to interest the American administration much. It's as if God's Own Country
was not affected by environmental pollution at all...
Oh, and sometimes Americans act quite uhm.. immaturely. For example renaming
"french fries" to "freedom fries" only because the French don't follow the
Americans into an arguable war is none but ridiculous. I guess, though, things
like this happen in every country.

I think in the long run, US aid and the spread of US culture is a more
powerful weapon than anything the military has to offer.  Blue jeans and
rock & roll seemed to do more to advance the fall of communism than any
weapon.

This method has worked exactly one time: It worked after WW2 to keep the Germans
on the leash. I get the impression some people thought this method of defeating
a people and giving them McDonalds and Coca Cola simply had to work with every
culture that is to be Americanized. I don't expect that it works in Iraq,
though. Sticking to this method (will) probably cost many lives of both American
soldiers and Iraqi civilists.

What do they call a Whopper in Europe? ;)

A Whopper is a "Whopper" but we call it "vopper" ;)
(Maybe "vopér" in France.)

Bye
Jojo