 Off-Topic / Debate / 25430
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:13:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:

I think that the point Suz was trying to make is that often Lar is right.
Lar sees a problem, he doesn't stay quiet and live with it. He tried to fix
the problem.  In this case, he used something like civil disobedience to
make a point.

But the disobedient civilian must accept the price for his disobedience,
otherwise it's just posturing like a rhinoceros.  In the same way that a
journalist should be willing to go to jail to protect his treasonous source, a
Bricklink customer should be willing to accept the ban if he willingly violates
the TOS on principle.

I am not sure, but I haven't seen anything from Lar saying that he is mad or
thinks he was treated unjust.  If he has, I'll have to rethink my position

It's not because it is "The Great Lar++", it is because Larry is consistently
acting in the best interest of the community.  If he didn't often point out
problems and than help fix him, he wouldn't be "The Great Lar++".

His history shows that people should consider what he says, not ban him for
insubordination.

As I read the thread-tree on Bricklink, he was banned for willful violation of
the TOS, in which case the ban is appropriate.  As has been pointed out
elsewhere, Lar has vocally supported the banning of TOS-violators, and he's
endorsed elaborate ceremonies of capitulation to reinstate those violators.
Therefore he should certainly be held to that same standard.

I agree, he was rightfully banned, no argueing there.  But on the other hand,
the rules themselves should be changed (ie: continuous stock)

He changed the wording from TOS violation, to non-TOS violation.

So why was he banned?

-Rob.