 Marketplace / Theory / 1593
Re: Distribution List Detonation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andreas Stabno writes:

I still stand firm by my opinion that sellers have the right to contact their
customers in order to announce upcoming sales.  I would hope that we respect
our differences of opinion in a civilized way [2].  However, as many of you
have pointed out, I now understand that the preferred and least intrusive
practice is to ask people explicitly before adding them to any type of list.
And so, as of today, my sale/auction/brick exchange distribution list is
cleared of all names.

Wow.  A clear move to show that you want to do business in a way that conforms
to netiquette, even though you personally disagree.  That is definitely a
respectable position, and I applaud you for it.

Of course this puts me and others who have maintained these lists in a little
bit of a quandary.  Do we throw them away and start from scratch?  Is it
acceptable to send a mass message asking whether people want to opt-in?  Or
would a personalized note be preferred?  At the risk of opening Pandora's box,
I'd like to hear your suggestions.

My suggestion may surprise you:  If I were in your shoes, I would compose a
brief message that began with an apology to anyone previous messages may have
offended, and that went on to explain that you were changing how you did
business and why, and informing them that if they do not respond to your
message asking to be kept on the list, they will be removed and will receive no
further announcements or updates, etc.  There might well be people that look
forward to your announcements and want to continue to receive them, and there's
no reason you should suddenly lose their business, IMHO.

Of course, I'd leave Sproat off that mailing. :D

eric