 General / 22498
Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:15:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andreas Stabno writes:
Jeremy, I will be more than happy to remove your address from my list, but a
simple email could have been a little more effective and to the point.

This is effective, no?  Rudeness for rudeness.  And I think I've made my point.
*I* pay for that in-box, and I say that you need *my* permission to make money
from it.  Don't get defensive because you were bit on the tush for being
unethical and careless.

Perhaps you did not read past the first part of my message:
"In all likelihood you have dealt with me before by trading pieces or buying
sets from me.  If we have not yet completed a deal and you are on this list,
we have at least corresponded by email before.  If you don't want to receive
this type of email for any reason at all, just let me know.  I will be glad to
remove your name from my list."

And perhaps I did read this, and still disagreed with you.  Why should I give
you the courtesy if you have given me none?  Yours is the exact same tactic
used by thousands of spammers.  It's called opt-out, which means that I, as a
spam victim, need to make some action to tell you to not bother me again.  And,
as has been mentioned here and elsewhere many times, this is generally a Bad
Thing to do, as it only serves to verify that my e-mail address is live.
Sorry, but I am firm in this.

For the record, I am very disappointed in these allegations

Let's not beat around the bush.  They're accusations.  And well-deserved, in my
view.

and can simply say
that my notice was only sent to people who have dealt with me before.  Many
people responded very favorably to my message, and to be frank it seems to be
common AFOL business practice to notify existing customers of new deals.

And this!  I am not an "existing customer".  I buy from whom I like, you have
no claim on my business, and I make no promises of future business.  I find the
insinuation that you own some portion of myself -- namely the right to dump
what garbage you want into my in-box for free -- unfriendly and annoying at
best, insulting and grossly arrogant at worst.  Especially considering that you
as a spammer have been through this before, I'm surprised and disappointed that
you haven't learned.

- jsproat