 Marketplace / Theory / 1594
Re: Distribution List Detonation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:58:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andreas Stabno writes:

Of course this puts me and others who have maintained these lists in a little
bit of a quandary.  Do we throw them away and start from scratch?  Is it
acceptable to send a mass message asking whether people want to opt-in?  Or
would a personalized note be preferred?  At the risk of opening Pandora's box,
I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Well, it isn't fine craftsmanship or anything, but as a result of this thread,
I sent the note below this text to my listees and deleted my mailing list.  I
am now rebuilding it as an opt-in only list.  In the 18 hours since I sent my
note, I've gotten 21 responses asking to opt-in.  As a point of interest, many
of them thought that equating my auction announcements with spam (the bad kind,
anyway) was bizzarre.  Even with that response, I would prefer to avoid
reactions like Jeremy's enough that discarding the list was worth it to me.  My
behavior on this issue.

Oh, and if anyone out there wants to be on my list, let me know.  ;-)

------my note-----------

Hi all,

You have purchased LEGO from me in the past.  Mostly on eBay.  I
have typically added my clients to my e-mailing list, and
announced when my next auction was going to start.  Recently, a
discussion on LUGNET clued me in to the fact that some people
really (REALLY!) hate such things as evil spam.  It had honestly
never occurred to me.

Sorry about that.

I'm going to erase this long list of addresses and not handle it
that way any more.  From now on, I'm going to include a bit in my
communications with my clients letting them know that if they
want to be on my mailing list, I keep one, and I can let them
know in advance when a sale is coming up, if they want.

So this is the last note you'll get from me unless you write back
stating that you would like to be on my list.  Please feel free.

Thanks for the business,

Christopher Weeks