 Marketplace / Theory / 1585
Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:25:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, David Eaton writes:

Well, it's not that I feel guilty for not feeling hostile... it's that I feel
if I concede to these spams, I feel as though I haven't a leg to stand on when
disliking other spams. It's the more or less prejudiced opinion that these
spams are ok that I object to.  Hence, my problem is if I'm not hostile here,
how can I justify being hostile to all those other spams? I hate
making 'arbitrary' exceptions to the rules, even though I suppose I've made
decisions in my mind as to why it's a valid exception. Or maybe I just love to
torture myself with moral dilemmas :)

I'm in the "mildly dislike opt out of AFOL mailing lists but don't mind it
that much" camp so my answer is tainted, I guess. But for me it's not a hard
dilemma... I can tell a note from an AFOL from a robot spam pretty easily.
Robot SPAM gets ignored, because Eric is right, answer one and you'll get a
hundred more. AFOL notes get a response like I outlined before. Jeremy is
right, in principle, these notes are unsolicited and are commercial and are
taking up space in his mailbox that he pays for. And in principle I suppose I
SHOULD ignore them all. I just think I am safe when I know that it's a human
AFOL at the other end, and in some cases although I may not have
formally "opted in" I *am* interested. And besides I sent out a note like that
myself once, long ago, before I cottoned on to how much work for how little
reward set auctions actually are.

How's that for waffling?

YMMV (and probably does)

Ok, I checked around on LUGNET for this acronym-- what exactly does it mean?
As near as I can tell, something like "Your opinions may differ"... Could it
be "Your Mind May Vary"?

(YCLIU, but... )

Is there a good place to look these up? (assuming I interpreted this one
correctly :) As I recall, when I searched Lugnet News, it appeared in all of
10-15 posts, all of which I checked out, and all of which were without
description. I thought maybe it might have been in Shiri's Acronym decryption
post, but apparently not...

Well.

The computer jargon dictionary is always a good start. I tried the brute force
intuitive approach of www.acronym.com but that was a dry hole. So I did
www.ask.com and typed "define acronym YMMV" and the second (ask another
question) answer i got was: "what does the computing term <listbox>Your
Mileage May Vary</listbox which also had a bunch of other words and phrases in
it> mean?"

So that might work for you. It didn't work for You Could Look It Up.

++Lar