 General / 22531
22530  |  22532
Subject:
No thanks to farewell speeches, you better not leave (was Re: Thanks but no thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:06:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Tom, Chris, Larry, Matt, and Todd (and others):  thanks for your input.  I
really do appreciate it.

Everyone else:  Hey, you know what guys?  Forget it.  It's been made clear to
me that this particular raving nutcake, noisy whiner, hypocrite, hater, and
(BTW) long-time contributing supporter of the Internet Lego community and
paying member of LUGNET is not welcome here.

Now now, Jeremy. Don't overreact. You may be a raving nutcake but you're *our*
kind of raving nutcake.

Some people don't agree with your stance on this issue, but that's not the
same as not being welcome here. Heck, even *I* feel welcome here so if there's
room for me and my big mouth, my ability to stand on principle and strain at
gnats, and my ability to see the cost behind everything and gleefully point it
out to the chagrin of the free lunch crowd, there's plenty of room for you
too. It's a big tent.(1)

I think where things went awry (1.5) is that your stance, while principled and
firm, may have been articulated a bit strongly. Theoretically that's ok but
sometimes it doesn't work well in practice.

And you came down REALLY hard on Andreas who, really, is just a hapless shlub
who foists off stuff on people without full disclosure of where he got it, and
uses email addresses that he got from email that people sent him without
asking permission. He's no worse than 1/2 a dozen other people I could name
this second and a lot better than the average run of the mill "B1FF the eBay
seller" selling MINT keychains for only 12 bucks each.

Does that make it right? Nope. Does that excuse it? Nope. But you catch more
flies with honey than with vinegar (2), something a lot of the rest of us
haven't grasped either (3).

So keep standing on principle, but do it like there's a layer of eggs beneath
your feet. Or something like that.

But don't leave. You're too good a builder to just up and leave LUGNET, we
need you and more like you (4) around here. Let the criticism flow off you
like spam flows off my mailbox spool. Just hit the delete (or next post) key
and move on. And get a new ISP that doesn't charge you a lot for spool space
or inbound bytes so personal spam doesn't annoy you as much (5).

But do stay. (6)

1 - . Or something like that. That was a good metaphor till the elephants
trampled it.

1.5 (7)- and this is the pot calling the kettle black a bit

2 - boy do I have a lot of room to talk on THAT...

3 - witness the tirade parade aimed at Brad J. about almost nothing...

4 - and Mars needs women, but I digress...

5 - Keep fighting the ROBOT spam, mind you, but don't sweat the occasional AFOL

6 - Or if you have to go, at least make sure BamBam stays. She's funnier
anyway. And cuter.

7 - No WAY was I renumbering all those footnotes when I realised I needed one
more. Deal.

++Lar