 General / 22544
Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:41:28 GMT

Though I can't (nor do I want to) refute your definition of spam, I feel
that in this situation -- Lugnet being the 'friendliest place on the web' --
a little patience is in order.

Is spam bad?  Yes.  Are unsolicited phone calls bad?  Yes.  Am I adamant
against both?  Yes.  I'm still a bit forgiving when I get a reputable Lugnut
wanting to sell me Lego.

That's all I really have to say on this subject, I'll save bashing both spam
and telemarketers and the privacy rights behind them for a rainy day.  Wait,
it is a rainy day - isn't it Eric ;-)  Its a busy rainy day though...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Andreas Stabno" <stabno@megsinet.net> wrote in message

I don't think its SPAM in the sense of the icky bulk unsolicited trash • that
shady online businesses are selling.

In my professional opinion, it is definitely Unsolicited Commercial Email
(UCE), which is definitely SPAM.

Before you ask, yes, there was a time when a major ISP payed me to • determine
things like this.

Its Lego, from an IMO reliable source
[1].

Doesn't matter the source, the fact is that at least one of his recipients
didn't want the mail.  It's just that simple.

I think that Andreas deserves a little slack and a little credit for
being willing in the first place to remove anyone from the list.

Why?  Are you really suggesting that he deserves credit for being willing • not
to be a pest?  The willingness to remove someone from his list is merely • the
default proper behaviour, assuming the person wanted to be on his list in • the
first place.  There's no credit to be given there.

What Andreas did is against the Terms of Service (ToS) of any reputable • ISP.
He might not get ToSsed (that is, have his account terminated for • violating
ToS) over a single complaint, but if Sproat were to complain, and someone • else
were to complain, etc etc etc, he would probably get canned eventually for
doing what he's doing.  Assuming, as I said, Andreas is signed up to a
reputable ISP.

eric