 General / 22501
Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:31:44 GMT

What are the defining attributes of spam?  If there is some universally agreed
upon definition, feel free to just point me to that.

Why is it that there is a positive correlation between the degree of net
savvyness and spite toward spam?  I've been on the net for a decade (and a
month), and I've watch attitudes toward spam develop over that time.  And it
seems quite fashionable among the netterati to compete to see who hates spam
the most.  Why spend so much of your emotion on such a trivial matter?

Jeremy seems to me like a raving nutcake in this note.  Am I alone in thinking
this, or are you all raving nutcakes?

Hey Andreas, I'm not on your list, but I'd like to be.  What are you selling
these days?

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

This is effective, no?  Rudeness for rudeness.

Good thinking.  Get out the Old Testament and go to town!

*I* pay for that in-box, and I say that you need *my* permission to make money
from it.

What if I paypal you a few cents with a spam ad in the comments section?

Don't get defensive because you were bit on the tush for being
unethical and careless.

I'm having a hard time swallowing unethical...but maybe if he's been smacked
down for it before.  Oh, and if he agrees with you.

And perhaps I did read this, and still disagreed with you.  Why should I give
you the courtesy if you have given me none?

Your mother should have covered this with you as a toddler.  I guess you missed
that lesson.

Yours is the exact same tactic
used by thousands of spammers.

Except that he thought that he knew you and knew your interests.  Oops.

Bad Thing

I've seen these Good Thing and Bad Thing references sprout up all over in the
last (what a year maybe? longer?) while and I'm guessing it's a TV thing since
that's the only explanation that I can think of for what bit of such popular
culture I'd be missing.  Anyone care to briefly explain?

to do, as it only serves to verify that my e-mail address is live.
Sorry, but I am firm in this.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Andreas would do.

and can simply say
that my notice was only sent to people who have dealt with me before.  Many
people responded very favorably to my message, and to be frank it seems to be
common AFOL business practice to notify existing customers of new deals.

And this!  I am not an "existing customer".

You exist.  You are (well, were, I suppose) a customer.  You are an "existing
customer."  And as a courtesy (and obviously to get the word out) to you and
others who might be interested, he was letting you know about his sale.

I buy from whom I like, you have
no claim on my business, and I make no promises of future business.

Never did he claim such.  That's a totally obtuse interpretation of his stance.

I find the insinuation that you own some portion of myself

Such an insinuation would indeed be insulting.  Lucky for you, he didn't
insuate such, you just fabricated it from your delusional hatred.

Can you break down how much his incomming ad cost you?  He might very well be
willing to reimburse you for your expense.  I know that my ISP at home is about
$1 per day, and I get about 50-75 notes each day.  So I guess each one is maybe
$.02.  Adding the cost of my time into it I guess we could say the time is
worth $100/hour and it takes me about half a second to look at the subject and
hit delete.  So that comes to <scribble, scribble> 1.4 cents.  So are your
numbers just way more than mine, or is the 3.4 cents that big a deal?

Chris