 General / 22500
Re: Just where is Scotland?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.ie
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:53:10 GMT

Scott A wrote:

So why would lego be any different?

Try asking a Yank! I once had a hard time with a Texas secretary who couldnt
spell Britain, then she confessed she didn't know what it was (i.e. she did
not know it was the name of a country) - she only knew of England.

Well us Scottish have to be careful when overseas. In virtually any country
where I am assumed to be English, I am all ways treated a little better when
they find I am from Scotland. A typical scenario in France this summer:

ME : parlez vous anglais
FRENCH PERSON FROWNS : A little.
ME : We are on Holiday from Scotland, can you...
FRENCH PERSON INTERUPTS : Ah. Scottish (Beams).

That's because Brits are a surly lot in general (ducking the flames), while
Scottish are only surly once they drink enough (REALLY ducking this time) ;-)

(I could throw in some sports references here to really rile everyone up, but I
don't follow US sports, let alone other countries ;-)

They downside of this that I am expected to drink large a amounts of beer and
sing a lot. I only attempt the former :-)

I dunno, once you do enough of the former, you think you can do the latter like
Pavarotti ;-)