 General / 22585
22584  |  22586
Subject:
Distribution List Detonation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:56:58 GMT

This thread certainly has exploded over the last few days and I have made an
effort to read every post.  Some have deeply infuriated me [1]; some provided
for valuable new understanding; and overall it has been a valuable discussion.

I've resisted replying to some comments that, as you can imagine, have caused
my blood pressure to rise a notch or two.  And I think it's now time for me to
summarize how I feel.

My actions have offended Jeremy and for this I apologize sincerely.  As Jeremy
stated, two years ago I sent a message to many RTL participants in order to
promote my auction.  In my naivete I thought that this action was not only
benefiting myself but also the greater community as a whole.  Over time I have
come to the realization that this method of "cold-call" solicitation is
completely out of line and has no place in our community.  I made a mistake
that I will not repeat.

A commercial message to old customers is IMHO very different from the above
situation, but I now realize that some members of our community classify it
the same as plain (c)old Spam.  I see the similarities and I see the
differences.  Enough good comments have already been made on lots of
interpretations of this issue.

I still stand firm by my opinion that sellers have the right to contact their
customers in order to announce upcoming sales.  I would hope that we respect
our differences of opinion in a civilized way [2].  However, as many of you
have pointed out, I now understand that the preferred and least intrusive
practice is to ask people explicitly before adding them to any type of list.
And so, as of today, my sale/auction/brick exchange distribution list is
cleared of all names.

Of course this puts me and others who have maintained these lists in a little
bit of a quandary.  Do we throw them away and start from scratch?  Is it
acceptable to send a mass message asking whether people want to opt-in?  Or
would a personalized note be preferred?  At the risk of opening Pandora's box,
I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Finally, I'd like to ask that we continue to show courtesy and a helpful
attitude towards one another.  As quickly as the online AFOL community is
growing, we are bound to run into times when individuals act in ways that are
displeasing to some of our members.  Let's educate and find solutions instead
of complaining and pointing fingers.

Be well,

Andreas Stabno
http://www.megsinet.net/~stabno/SimiLego.htm

[1] It is disturbing to read the personal attacks that we have posted in
this "friendliest place on the Internet"
[2] After all there should be plenty of room for all of us in this fantastic
community