 General / 22497
Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:06:51 GMT

"Andreas Stabno" <stabno@megsinet.net> wrote in message

Jeremy, I will be more than happy to remove your address from my list, but • a
simple email could have been a little more effective and to the point.
Perhaps you did not read past the first part of my message:

I agree here.

"In all likelihood you have dealt with me before by trading pieces or • buying
sets from me.  If we have not yet completed a deal and you are on this • list,
we have at least corresponded by email before.  If you don't want to • receive
this type of email for any reason at all, just let me know.  I will be • glad to
remove your name from my list."

For the record, I am very disappointed in these allegations and can simply • say
that my notice was only sent to people who have dealt with me before. • Many
people responded very favorably to my message, and to be frank it seems to • be
common AFOL business practice to notify existing customers of new deals.

I would stand behind Andreas here - though I wasn't interested in buying
what he offered, I appreciated being considered as a potential buyer.  I
don't recall if I've ever dealt with him before, but I've exchanged some
pleasant email with him in the past, so I welcome news of his sales.

I don't think its SPAM in the sense of the icky bulk unsolicited trash that
shady online businesses are selling.  Its Lego, from an IMO reliable source
[1].  I think that Andreas deserves a little slack and a little credit for
being willing in the first place to remove anyone from the list.

[1] There's a definite difference in my mind - I hate SPAM just about as
much as you do, Jeremy.  If I had time I'd seek legislation against it, but
I don't.  For now, I just use the Spamcop filters (www.spamcop.net).
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne