 General / 22532
Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:30:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Andreas Stabno" <stabno@megsinet.net> wrote in message

I don't think its SPAM in the sense of the icky bulk unsolicited trash that
shady online businesses are selling.

In my professional opinion, it is definitely Unsolicited Commercial Email
(UCE), which is definitely SPAM.

Before you ask, yes, there was a time when a major ISP payed me to determine
things like this.

Its Lego, from an IMO reliable source
[1].

Doesn't matter the source, the fact is that at least one of his recipients
didn't want the mail.  It's just that simple.

I think that Andreas deserves a little slack and a little credit for
being willing in the first place to remove anyone from the list.

Why?  Are you really suggesting that he deserves credit for being willing not
to be a pest?  The willingness to remove someone from his list is merely the
default proper behaviour, assuming the person wanted to be on his list in the
first place.  There's no credit to be given there.

What Andreas did is against the Terms of Service (ToS) of any reputable ISP.
He might not get ToSsed (that is, have his account terminated for violating
ToS) over a single complaint, but if Sproat were to complain, and someone else
were to complain, etc etc etc, he would probably get canned eventually for
doing what he's doing.  Assuming, as I said, Andreas is signed up to a
reputable ISP.

eric