 General / 22519
22518  |  22520
Subject:
Just make it clear to people what kind of list they're getting on (was: Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:52:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Doug Finney writes:
First off, let me say it's always best to err on the side of caution with
mass mailings. As others have said, when constructing an auction/sale
notification list the default should be *not* adding them; only add those
who respond asking to be on such a list. Is catching the 1 or 2 who might
be interested but forget to respond really worth catching the wrath of a
rabid anti-spammer? Not in my view.

I've had an auction e-mail announcement/distro/mailing list (with the default
being to stay on rather than be dropped off) since 1994 and I can't remember
anyone ever getting rabid about being mailed -- only polite requests to be
removed from the list.  I also send heads-up messages between auctions to try
to give people the chance to request removal before the flood begins.  That
has worked well.

I agree about erring on the side of caution, but there are many ways to do
that.  One thing you can do, for example, is just make it clear to people
that they're getting on a general mailing list for announcements/etc., which
may continue after the auction closes.  I think Matt Chiles has done this for
the longest time as well and, while I have no idea if he's ever run into
trouble, he's so professional about it that I can't imagine that it wasn't
ever clear to anyone what they were getting into.

--Todd