 Marketplace / Theory / 1592
Re: Lego UK - A Rip Off Britain Vendor? Some good, some bad prices.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Scott Arthur writes:
This is all pretty bad when one sees it in black and white - I think I was
happier when I only had a sneaking suspicion that I was being ripped off!

That said, I'm sure LEGO would say that marketing in Europe is much more
expensive as the markets are all much smaller, are quite diverse and require
some degree of tailoring. I suppose the US prices are also VAT/sales tax free?

Please note I'm not hinting that you should produce a pan-European
spreadsheet.

Once we join the Euro all this will be much clearer :-)

I copied this to lugnet.market.theory

Shouldnt forget that the UK prices include VAT, whereas their is no sales tax
in the US prices. This probably accounts for a sizeable chunk of the difference

I also copied in the German prices. These are more like for like as they too
include VAT.
UK prices are typically 1.1x to 1.25x german prices. The bulk elements are
1.22x german prices.

regards
lawrence