 Local / United Kingdom / 4812
Re: Lego UK - A Rip Off Britain Vendor? Some good, some bad prices.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:42:07 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In the market for yet more bulk bricks, I thought I would do some price
comparison between UK and USA prices.

You may want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. For example:

However, a lot of Lego System is 1.46x
The worst offenders are lego software, which are at least 2x, with Lego
Friends 3.65x, as it is on offer at $9.99 compared to UK price of £24.99

Friends came out at 40 USD MSRP IIRC, as do most LegoMedia titles. It's
currently on sale, yes, because it didn't do very well. (my daughter Taya
(11), who loves Scala and to a lesser extent Belville, was quickly bored by
it).

So in some cases, when you compare MSRP, the disparity is a lot less. Now, the
question of why doesn't the UK get the same level of discounting is a valid
and interesting question, but different.

(you all know that I have my own theories on why the US has generally lower
prices on nonsubsidied goods than the rest of the world but that's a .debate
topic)