 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 27
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 01:49:10 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

<snip>(Eric K said)
I personally have plenty of these bricks in the more basic colors of Red,
White, Yellow, Blue, and Black so being able to order these bricks does not
excite me quite as much.

Eric said it almost perfectly.  The "common" bricks (1x1,1x2,1x3,1x4,1x6,2x2,
2x3,2x4,2x6) are availabe in the "common" (Red, Blue, Black, White, Green,
Yellow) colours in the 1200 piece buckets.  I doubt you can beat the price that
some of the bulk resellers manage even.

For example, one Lugnet member purchased 100+ of the buckets, and is selling
the 1x bricks from them.  He purchased the buckets at $14 or so each, giving a
price per brick of around 1.2 cents (his purchase price).  I do not see L@D
managing to sell bricks at this low a price.  Please, don't aim at a market
that there is some competition for already, aim for one that we cannot fill
ourselves.

(Brad J said)<snip>
· It is our intent going forward to make a certain number of basic elements
(perhaps a couple hundred or so) available year-round. In addition to this
evergreen group, we are creating a system that will allow us to offer a set
(perhaps an additional 50 to 100) of more unusual elements each month.

This sounds _great_.  I know a little of the economics of injection molding,
and as such I hope you have CAD/CAM files for the parts, especially the older
ones like the pitchfork (classic).  Please, do not veto parts because they are
currently "collectable", the reason why the price is so high on some of the
parts is because they are unavailable.  As regards the run sizes, I understand
that you would want to sell most of a run of parts beforehand, and that this
will limit the choices of pieces.

I look forward to your next announcement,

James Powell, Bricksmith.