 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 34
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:27:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Brad Justus writes:

· Initially, we will offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 "basic"
elements (standard bricks, some tiles and plates, etc.). The list for
the first available elements will be published in early May.

What will be the availability, if any, of getting some of these elements with
specific printed images on them (e.g. various minifig parts, slopes, bricks,
and tiles)?  It seems to me (but I'm no expert) that there should only be a
small marginal cost in printing images on "standard" elements, especially if
there were enough people wanting the same image on the same element.

· In addition to this evergreen group, we are creating a system that
will allow us to offer a set (perhaps an additional 50 to 100) of more unusual
elements each month. We will publish these elements at the beginning of
each month, and collect orders for them during the course of that month.
At the end of the month, we will tally the orders for each element, run
our production against demand and then ship to you.

Will the list of elements that don't get enough sign-ups that month be purged
or is it possible to keep them potentially available another month or two to
see if more interest can be generated.  (There would probably have to be some
allowance for people removing themselves from a list if a different element
came up that was more likely to get an order filled.  Each person only has so
much money at a time after all.)  Or is it possible that if the number of an
element were close enough that the price might be incrementally increased
(assuming that it would be set in advance) to cover the cost and make a
production run anyway?  This might be able to be done with upfront conditional
pricing (i.e. if 2000 are wanted then it would be $0.15/element, but if only
1500 are wanted, $.20/element).  Not exactly a standard pricing model but it
might be useful.

Just some thoughts,

John Gramley