 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 13
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:14:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Alan Gerber writes:
In lugnet.lego, Brad Justus writes:

· Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow
soon after.
What about other countries, like Japan, Austrailia, and other places with • large
LEGO fan communities?

Can I second Alan's comment about Australia. We feel like a Lego backwater
down here with no 'Lego Shop At Home' and missing out on certain sets that
get released elsewhere.

· In addition to this evergreen group, we are creating a system that
will allow us to offer a set (perhaps an additional 50 to 100) of more • unusual
elements each month. We will publish these elements at the beginning of
each month, and collect orders for them during the course of that month.
At the end of the month, we will tally the orders for each element, run
our production against demand and then ship to you. In order to
cost-justify production (changing the molds, running the machines for a
certain period of time), we will require a minimum aggregate order (i.e.
from all consumers) for each element, or we will not be able to produce
that element. The beauty of this system is that it potentially allows us
to manufacture elements which we are not currently producing - which
will give you the ability to commission purchase of elements long out of
production (assuming we still have the molds and that you as a group can
commit to the minimum aggregate purchase). We hope to begin this service
late this year or early in 2001.

Maybe you could also publish a running total for each special element and
it's minimum production quota. That way people can order some more to get
that particular element 'over the line' and into production.

That's the news for now - we hope it is welcome. And we look forward to
bringing you much more of it in the months and years ahead.

We hope that Australian AFOL's can take part in this exciting development.

-pete.w.