 LEGO Company / 9

Subject:
the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.lego.announce, lugnet.announce, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:26:21 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear All:

First, I'd like to thank Suzanne and Todd for creating the new
lugnet.lego group and associated subgroups. I hope that this will make
it easier for everyone to find and read communications between The LEGO
Company and our enthusiasts -- particularly as we intend these
communications to be increasingly frequent in the months and years
ahead.

Second, I'd like to thank all of you for being so patient during these
last couple of months.  We know that it must be difficult to believe
that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (such light being lit by
my first communication in December) and then to be frustrated that it
seems to draw no nearer. And we realize that though it may seem as if
there have been many words and few actions, we can assure you that we
have not been idle - but we needed to ensure that all the correct pieces
were in place before beginning actively our interactions with you. These
pieces are now largely where they ought to be and, consequently, we are
ready to begin putting the rubber to the road (or the brick to
baseplate, as it were).

I and other representatives of The LEGO Company will now be
participating in LUGNET on the order of once a week or so. We'll be
happy to answer questions - and we'll be asking some of you as well.
Please understand, however, that we can't address such juicy (yet taboo)
topics as upcoming but thus far undisclosed products and other such
"confidential" areas. We will however, be pleased to engage in dialogue
with you about your passion for the Brick, and to welcome your
suggestions for how we may offer better service and products to you, our
consumers. (I'll be looking for you in lugnet.lego.direct.)

And to that end: I am pleased to be able now to disclose some details of
our bulk buying program. We anticipate offering purchases of bulk
elements within 90 days (finishing touches now being applied to our
manufacturing and fulfillment capabilities for this). Here are the
highlights:

· Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow
soon after.
· When we say bulk orders, we mean large quantities of a single element
(e.g. 1,000 red 2x6 bricks), not a single order of a thousand different
elements.
· Initially, we will offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 "basic"
elements (standard bricks, some tiles and plates, etc.). The list for
the first available elements will be published in early May.
· There will be a mimimum order quantity, probably around 50 or 100
(depending on the size of the element).
· As the new e-commerce portion of LEGO.com will not be available until
much later this year, purchases will be made through Shop At Home - that
is, by placing your orders via telephone. (IMPORTANT: Please do not call
SAH now - we'll let you know when the bulk service goes live.) In
Europe, we are creating a new toll-free number for direct purchases.
· It is our intent going forward to make a certain number of basic
elements (perhaps a couple hundred or so) available year-round.
· In addition to this evergreen group, we are creating a system that
will allow us to offer a set (perhaps an additional 50 to 100) of more unusual
elements each month. We will publish these elements at the beginning of
each month, and collect orders for them during the course of that month.
At the end of the month, we will tally the orders for each element, run
our production against demand and then ship to you. In order to
cost-justify production (changing the molds, running the machines for a
certain period of time), we will require a minimum aggregate order (i.e.
from all consumers) for each element, or we will not be able to produce
that element. The beauty of this system is that it potentially allows us
to manufacture elements which we are not currently producing - which
will give you the ability to commission purchase of elements long out of
production (assuming we still have the molds and that you as a group can
commit to the minimum aggregate purchase). We hope to begin this service
late this year or early in 2001.

That's the news for now - we hope it is welcome. And we look forward to
bringing you much more of it in the months and years ahead.

Play Well.

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct
legodirect@lego.com

Re: the latest news
And to that end: I am pleased to be able now to disclose some details of
our bulk buying program. We anticipate offering purchases of bulk
elements within 90 days (finishing touches now being applied to our
manufacturing and fulfillment capabilities for this). Here are the
highlights:

· Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow
soon after.
What about other countries, like Japan, Austrailia, and other places with large
LEGO fan communities?
[...]

I can't wait!

Re: the latest news
In lugnet.lego.direct, Alan Gerber writes:
In lugnet.lego, Brad Justus writes:

· Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow
soon after.
What about other countries, like Japan, Austrailia, and other places with • large
LEGO fan communities?

Can I second Alan's comment about Australia. We feel like a Lego backwater
down here with no 'Lego Shop At Home' and missing out on certain sets that
get released elsewhere.

[...]

Maybe you could also publish a running total for each special element and
it's minimum production quota. That way people can order some more to get
that particular element 'over the line' and into production.

That's the news for now - we hope it is welcome. And we look forward to
bringing you much more of it in the months and years ahead.

We hope that Australian AFOL's can take part in this exciting development.

-pete.w.

Re: the latest news
In lugnet.lego.direct, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Alan Gerber writes:
In lugnet.lego, Brad Justus writes:

Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow soon
after.
What about other countries, like Japan, Austrailia, and other places with
large LEGO fan communities?

Can I second Alan's comment about Australia. We feel like a Lego backwater
down here with no 'Lego Shop At Home' and missing out on certain sets that
get released elsewhere.

I'll third that. Currently Aussie AFOL's feel about as loved as your average
BURP when it comes to recognition from TLC. When will we stop having to pick
up the 1x1 plates from under the US LEGO table??

Pete Callaway

Re: the latest news