 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 97
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:05:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Gino A. Melone wrote:

In article <39003220.5E4926CE@inwave.com>, icestorm@inwave.com wrote:
I can understand concerns about hoarders and gougers, but collectors'
interests should figure into the equation too. I'd love to be able to get
more Blacktron I minfigs, but I don't want them popping up reducing the
value of the originals. Maybe a >slightly< modified fig would be OK,
something to distinguish originals from re-issues, but I still see many in
the public being gouged on Ebay buy some sellers who would push the
re-issues as "old" and "rare".
  Personally, I'd like to see all of the rarest pieces duplicated
perfectly in enormous mass.  My NLS is into Barbie Dolls.  The gouging and
fabricated-"rare" stuff is all over the place.  And Mattel does all sorts
of things which make it easy to distinguish old from new.  With Mattel it
is more of not having a need for consistency.  Subtle changes from one
line to the next are made without a second thought.  One of the great
things about TLG is the incredible consistency over the years.  Since they
started using ABS, it is almost impossible to distinguish a black 2x4 made
last week from one made decades ago.  This is one of the reasons that LEGO
collecting has remained so friendly.  Even with the recent influx of AFOL
because of Star Wars, LEGO collecting is still a pretty friendly place.
Hang out on any doll-collecting group/board for a while and you'll see
what an unpleasent market can look like.

  The only thing that makes a Guarded Inn unique is that one flag (I
think).  When you buy a used GI, you have no idea how old the rest of the
bricks are.  That is one of the best things about LEGO collecting.  I have
hundreds of sets.  I don't have a single one of them intact.  However, I
could rip apart my walker for the beams and rebuild my SuperCar (the real
one :-) any time I want.  It would be virtually impossible for me to end
up with exactly the same bricks going into it as came in the original
packaging.  I like it that way.

  If TLG starts catering to maintaining the collector value of certain
items, we might as well start giving our money to Mattel.

   Later,
    Gino A...

As someone who has a large collection of rare pieces, I am totally in agreement
with mass producing them.  I won't be hurt, because buying more of them means
that I will now be able to build grander and more detailed buildings.  Yeah I
have 42 steep slope corners in yellow, 140 regular slope (outside) corners in
blue, etc, but I am not selling any of these anyway.  So if they are suddenly no
longer worth $10 each or more, then I won't be sad, because now I can buy
hundreds more.

The sellers are the ones who will not be helped by this.  But I only buy, not
sell.

Gary Istok