 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 66
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:01:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
I think it was a good idea.  This comment makes me glad I read news in a
real newsreader and don't have my expectations colored by ratings.
It sounds like the ratings are more an indication of the people who rate
things than of how interesting the post might be.

The ratings indicate a reaction and collective recommendation to read.  In
the .lego.* groups, which are primarily intended as a communications link to
the LEGO Comapny (.lego.direct in paricular), their primary reason for
existing is to channel feedback to LEGO in a way that they can best use.

Thus, a suggestion deemed useless to LEGO (i.e., noise) might nevertheless be
a great suggestion and might receive a higher rating in a different group, for
example .general.

A post asking for the resurrection of Forestmen, for example, might be a great
suggestion, but its use to LEGO is nil -- nothing but pure noise -- a complete
and utter waste of bandwidth.  If LEGO wants to bring Forestmen back, they'll
make that decision without us.  If they wanted our input for product line
recommendations, they surely wouldn't waste their time reading one-of
suggestions and me-too's in text-based newsgroups.

I've only seen 3 or 4 messages so far to this group which (in my mind) might
be any use to LEGO, and the rest are just line noise -- but there's nothing
wrong with that(!) if the collective ratings end up helping Brad in the long
run.  He can choose to ignore them and read everything, or start with the
higher rated ones and read through the lower rated ones later.

So far, the ratings seem to be working very well for this .lego.direct group,
at least so far as the numbers I'm seeing do agree well with the posts I'd
recommend to Brad.  Brad of course would need to give us feedback on how well
we are rating things if before we could really know for sure.

--Todd