 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 89
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:49:04 GMT

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Ice wrote:

Brad Justus wrote:
snip...
This could get interesting. If a person were willing to pay enough, could
one contract for exclusive production run of a unique brick? It might cost a
small fortune to corner the market for clear macaroni bricks, but it might
be worth it. :) Seriously though, maybe we should survey what people would
most like to see, ranging from the common to the unique.

Macaroni bricks, any color.
Castle helmets, any style.
Visors for castle helmets, old or new style.
Vests as worn by figs in the Yellow Castle set, though a different color
from the original.
Armor.
12x24 bricks.
Hourglass structural pieces that use to be so common in classic space.
Girders/supports, like in space monorail or Message Base Interceptor.
I'll come up with more right after I send this. :|

Add Marion Helmets, maybe in gray, and Shako<?> hats to the list.
Masts in brown?

I don't think I would be in favor of making available any bricks that were
unique to only one set in the past. Not bulk anyway. If people want to build
the sets of their youth and avoid confiscatory auction prices, great, but
too many buyers could be duped into paying excessive prices for what appear
to be classic sets but aren't. I think someone wanted to undercut hoarders,
which I can understand, but even if 100,000 Maiden Hats suddenly became
available, someone would be hawking them for 10X their worth. Let Consumer
affairs deal with people who need specific pieces for old sets.

snip...
Mark K.

I think that if the demand is there then offering pieces that have only ever
appeared in one set, like the black falcon flag, the maidens cap, the tudor wall
pieces and others would be good, even if it pisses off the people who cant get
ridiculous prices on ebay for the pieces.

But people will get those ridiculous prices, maybe for quite a while. Many
buyers just don't have the information about LD and S@H they need to avoid
being ripped off.

While I don't want TLG to shut us off from pieces we need to complete old
sets, I don't think LD should be the source for them. Some pieces, like the
vests from the Yellow Castle, would make a good bulk item IMO. Others, like
the flag you mentioned, should be available through customer services,
unless  you were imagining and army of BF soldiers where a hundred or so are
waving the big flags.

I can understand concerns about hoarders and gougers, but collectors'
interests should figure into the equation too. I'd love to be able to get
more Blacktron I minfigs, but I don't want them popping up reducing the
value of the originals. Maybe a >slightly< modified fig would be OK,
something to distinguish originals from re-issues, but I still see many in
the public being gouged on Ebay buy some sellers who would push the
re-issues as "old" and "rare".

Brad may have a tough time keeping the customer base happy. :)

Mark K.