 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 87
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:51:00 GMT

Ice wrote:

Brad Justus wrote:
snip...
· When we say bulk orders, we mean large quantities of a single element
(e.g. 1,000 red 2x6 bricks), not a single order of a thousand different
elements.
· Initially, we will offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 "basic"
elements (standard bricks, some tiles and plates, etc.). The list for
the first available elements will be published in early May.
· There will be a mimimum order quantity, probably around 50 or 100
(depending on the size of the element).

Just to clarify if I have this right, LD will require that say 10K of a
certain brick must be ordered from al combine buyers, but an individual
buyer may order as few as 50-100? Please don't tell me I'm confused. :)

I like the idea of basic elements being available, but 40 is a low number
when seperated into colors and sizes. I would hate to see all the 2x4 black
bricks of my dreams available, but not have access to black 2x3 or 1x2 that
would be needed to finish off a project.

snip...
· It is our intent going forward to make a certain number of basic
elements (perhaps a couple hundred or so) available year-round.

Guess it would be easier to assess if the colors and sizes of all the bricks
and plates and tiles were stated. 100 may be a wide enough variety. Still
hard to say.

· In addition to this evergreen group, we are creating a system that
will allow us to offer a set (perhaps an additional 50 to 100) of more unusual
elements each month. We will publish these elements at the beginning of
each month, and collect orders for them during the course of that month.
At the end of the month, we will tally the orders for each element, run
our production against demand and then ship to you. In order to
cost-justify production (changing the molds, running the machines for a
certain period of time), we will require a minimum aggregate order (i.e.
from all consumers) for each element, or we will not be able to produce
that element. The beauty of this system is that it potentially allows us
to manufacture elements which we are not currently producing - which
will give you the ability to commission purchase of elements long out of
production (assuming we still have the molds and that you as a group can
commit to the minimum aggregate purchase). We hope to begin this service
late this year or early in 2001.

This could get interesting. If a person were willing to pay enough, could
one contract for exclusive production run of a unique brick? It might cost a
small fortune to corner the market for clear macaroni bricks, but it might
be worth it. :) Seriously though, maybe we should survey what people would
most like to see, ranging from the common to the unique.

Macaroni bricks, any color.
Castle helmets, any style.
Visors for castle helmets, old or new style.
Vests as worn by figs in the Yellow Castle set, though a different color
from the original.
Armor.
12x24 bricks.
Hourglass structural pieces that use to be so common in classic space.
Girders/supports, like in space monorail or Message Base Interceptor.
I'll come up with more right after I send this. :|

I don't think I would be in favor of making available any bricks that were
unique to only one set in the past. Not bulk anyway. If people want to build
the sets of their youth and avoid confiscatory auction prices, great, but
too many buyers could be duped into paying excessive prices for what appear
to be classic sets but aren't. I think someone wanted to undercut hoarders,
which I can understand, but even if 100,000 Maiden Hats suddenly became
available, someone would be hawking them for 10X their worth. Let Consumer
affairs deal with people who need specific pieces for old sets.

snip...

Play Well.

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct
legodirect@lego.com

Thanks. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Mark K.

I think that if the demand is there then offering pieces that have only ever
appeared in one set, like the black falcon flag, the maidens cap, the tudor wall
pieces and others would be good, even if it pisses off the people who cant get
ridiculous prices on ebay for the pieces.