 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 52
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
James Powell wrote:
This sounds _great_.  I know a little of the economics of injection molding,
and as such I hope you have CAD/CAM files for the parts, especially the • older
ones like the pitchfork (classic).

While they almost certainly have CAD/CAM files for newer parts, there
are almost certainly some older parts which they don't have CAD/CAM
files for.  I'd strongly suspect there are parts we WON'T see because
they no longer have a useable mold. While they clearly are going to do
special runs, they probably aren't going to be making new molds for
parts which are obsolete in their mind. Of course, not all out of
production parts are obsolete, as some of the resurection of Fabuland
parts shows.

--
Frank Filz

Well, from "The World Of Lego Toys" (or something like it, one of the world
tours), the comment was that in198(7?) they had been producing there molds
using CAM for at that point about 20 years, so it is possible.  I know how the
older way is to make a mold, using a hobb, but from what I have seen, Lego has
been produced using CAM cavity sinking for at least 25 years, so most pieces
should be availabe as CAM files.  Making a new mold with a CAM file is not all
that expensive, in the range of $10,000 or less.  The question is do they use
the same format as they used to use? (heat, machines, plastic...)

I hope to see some of the older parts made available, such as the pitchfork,
and monorail track.  (if straight monorail track is available, I will get into
monorail, otherwise, not a chance...)

Most of the parts which I would like are current enough that I am sure they are
available to TLG as CAM files, and the molds are very likely to exist still.

James (waiting to see what is made available...)