 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 102
Re: "Boring bricks?" Not if all colors available (was: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:49:56 GMT

"John J. Ladasky Jr." wrote:

Ordinarily, I don't believe in "me-too" posts.  However, since it is feasible
that TLG is using the content of this newsgroup to plan Lego Direct's output, I
will add my two cents.

I agree with James Trobaugh.  If we can order the standard blue-tub brick
selection in new colors, I will be standing in line for light gray, dark gray,
tan, and brown bricks.  Maybe I would also buy some teal, purple, and orange.

In lugnet.lego.direct, James J. Trobaugh writes:
I don' t know Ed, I think that the market is full of Red, Blue, Yellow and
even Black. But I'd love to be able to order bulk Grey, Dark Grey and Tan
bricks...maybe even Brown and Clear. Those would be great for building some
nice downtown type buildings.

Well, the only data I have about colour availability comes from the new
Lego book, which (in its discussion of the factories which make Lego)
indicate that the ABS granules (raw material) are stored in large silos
- I'd have to go home to check the exact colour list, but it was
something like two each of blue, red, yellow, white, black, light grey;
one each of dark grey, green, brown(?) and one other.  I
distinctly remember pink, teal and orange as missing.

This was info for a Danish plant; I'm not sure how it matches with their
other plants.  But it stands to reason that we will be able to order
standard parts in colours which are easy for them to provide.  If they
had to refill a silo or hook up temporary supplies, I expect the cost
would go up for them, so they'd be less likely to do so.

I'd *love* to have a pile of teal bricks, or enough light green and dark
green to do a convincing park, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the actual data from the
Lego book, or has more in-depth knowledge about how Lego is produced.
It stands to reason that their production methods will strongly impact
the availability of piece and colour combinations for us...

Has anyone made up a definitive colour list?  Some colours, like the
light green of the 7128 Star Wars Speeder Bikes set I haven't really
seen elsewhere, and due to the period of my dark ages, I think I missed
out on some ineteresting trans colours from the late eighties / early
nineties space sets.

Thanks!
Jeff Elliott