 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 51
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:21:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Ed Jones writes:
In lugnet.lego, Brad Justus writes:
Dear All:

[snip]
· Initial availability will be in North America, but Europe will follow
soon after.
· When we say bulk orders, we mean large quantities of a single element
(e.g. 1,000 red 2x6 bricks), not a single order of a thousand different
elements.

However, I must state my pessimism of LEGO Directs success if the choice for
initial elements is bricks.  Bricks are very easily obtained in basic buckets.
The current market is saturated with 2x bricks.

That's true - if and only if you are looking for multiple colors.  The
sales of large single-color lots on places like eBay show that there's a
definite market for this sort of thing.

I ran out of black 1x bricks while building my latest MOC
(http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura/moc/castleworld/wolftemp for some
"in progress" pics) and bought a couple of blue tubs - but the assortment
of 1x black bricks in those is quite small.  I would have rather spent the
same amount of money on *just* 1x black bricks...

And if they're planning on offering grey bricks, I think *all* the castle
folks and a good number of others will be lining up to purchase.  Same for
any of the other "unusual colors"

Plates and tiles should sell well provided all colors are available.

Agreed!

IMO, the market is much hungrier for minifigs and minifig elements, space
elements, train elements and castle elements.

I have a feeling that these will remain the province of specific sets, at
least in the Castle area. (On the other hand, I bet Mike Stanley would be
ready to fulfill the aggregate order of pitchforks all by himself, judging
by the fervor with which he pursues them...)