 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 60
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:44:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Will Hess writes:
How about voting on all parts which are not commonly available that are
required to build highly sought after classic sets like the 6067 Guarded • Inn,
375 yellow castle, Galaxy Explorer or the Metroliner.
We have the instructions so we know what parts we need to build it.
Couple people could get together and each buy 100 (or the minimum quantity
required) of a certain part needed to build 100 guarded inns or yellow
castles.  Then everybody would send all the parts to a middle person who • will
use them to build the sets and sell them back to people who want them for • far
below current auction prices.  Instructions could be done in Ldraw or
downloaded from Brickshelf.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but I don't see this happening except in
the case of the Yellow Castle.  Why not?  All the other sets require PRINTED
elements which would greatly increase the manufacturing costs (and time).

Well, who says they can't make printed elements?  For this idea to work, Lego
Direct would have to make pieces on request and for this to be worth it, we'd
have to look at the price of each element and how much it would cost
to "recreate" a classic set.  If it would cost $100 worth of parts to make 1
guarded inn then forget it, might as well pick up a used one on eBay.  It
would definitely be worth it to buy a guarged inn for let's say $40 than to
get a used one for 3 times as much.
I'd definitely take this idea into consideration and try to persue it but
seeing what kind of rating my original reply received, I don't think there
would be any interest at all.

D.