 General / 22489
  Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

Hey all, I just got spammed by Andreas Stabno; he's hawking a sale of his. The subject line is "KC Masterpieces". His message goes, "somehow when I wasn't looking the closet filled up with LEGO sets and it's time to sell all 138 sets that remain." (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) [snip] I run parts auctions from time to time. I sporadically keep a list of participants (winners, actually) and when I launch an auction, I announce it on rtl, lma, and by sending a note to that mailing list. I let them know what I'm doing, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I don't know about this specific situation (not being at my home e-mail, I don't know if I got this iteration of UCE), but I tend to side with Jeremy on this issue. However, it's probably relevant to point out that I'm a rabid opponent of (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  sale and auction advertisements (was: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces))

(...) I would like to avoid that kind of bad feeling. When my auction is over, I send out one big email to the winners with the total winnings listed out. If I included a clause something like "I normally would add your email address to my auction (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I have pointed this out before and I will again... It is a recommended practice to NEVER respond to SPAM E-Mails even to request removal. In general all this tells the SPAMMER is that you exist and usually guarentees you getting MORE SPAM not (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Jeremy, I will be more than happy to remove your address from my list, but a simple email could have been a little more effective and to the point. Perhaps you did not read past the first part of my message: "In all likelihood you have dealt (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) perhaps you'd be better off, before adding someone to your list, make sure they want to be there? as in, when completeing a deal, ask "would you want me to notify you of future sales I have" or something like that... make the list opt-in, and (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: sale and auction advertisements (was: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces))

(...) It would in my case. I appreciate that sort of consideration, and it tends to nudge someone up a few notches in my brain. Even better would be "If you want to be on my list, please..." - but I appreciate that that would impact the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I find myself particularly leniant with these spams, sadly... I don't agree with the fact that they're spams, but at least they're really not dished out at complete random (i.e. you know your recipient at least has a chance of being (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: sale and auction adverts

Chris, What you describe is an "opt-out" list, which means the buyer has to do something to be removed from the list. That kind of list can generate the same ill-will already expressed about mailing lists. A better choice is an "opt-in" list, which (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

"Andreas Stabno" <stabno@megsinet.net> wrote in message news:G1GECG.5qK@lugnet.com... (...) a (...) I agree here. (...) buying (...) list, (...) receive (...) glad to (...) say (...) Many (...) be (...) I would stand behind Andreas here - though I (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) This is effective, no? Rudeness for rudeness. And I think I've made my point. *I* pay for that in-box, and I say that you need *my* permission to make money from it. Don't get defensive because you were bit on the tush for being unethical and (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) on (...) Well there are spammers and there are SPAMMERs. Do we really THINK that ANDREAS is some faceless ROBOT? (1) While I never respond to machine generated spam mail and that is good advice in general, I DO respond to people I know are (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Well, this is a debatable point, I guess. *Should* you be hostile? Jeremy is, and that's fine for him. I'm not. I don't think you should feel guilty that you're not hostile enough. If you see what I mean. (...) (YCLIU, but... ) Your Mileage (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Well, it's not that I feel guilty for not feeling hostile... it's that I feel if I concede to these spams, I feel as though I haven't a leg to stand on when disliking other spams. It's the more or less prejudiced opinion that these spams are (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I'm in the "mildly dislike opt out of AFOL mailing lists but don't mind it that much" camp so my answer is tainted, I guess. But for me it's not a hard dilemma... I can tell a note from an AFOL from a robot spam pretty easily. Robot SPAM gets (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) I'm just curious on this how people feel about things like magazine renewal notices. In theory, they are in the same category if anything other than a notice on the magazine wrapper. My personal feeling is that I do want to receive renewal (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Not only that, but in your case, you have an open offer to buy "out there." So you would have a weaker claim to outrage than some others, IMHO. Chris (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

What are the defining attributes of spam? If there is some universally agreed upon definition, feel free to just point me to that. Why is it that there is a positive correlation between the degree of net savvyness and spite toward spam? I've been on (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

This of course falls apart for most US ISPs, as they GENERALLY don't charge per message or connection time (if you have an ISP that does, GET A NEW ONE). Entirely different matter overseas, though, where often you pay for connection time. (...) -- | (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) per (...) Nah, mine charges for disk space. E-mail falls under "disk space". Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Sorry, my bad. How about Unsolicited Commercial E-mail? (...) "Raving nutcake". That's probably close -- I did become a bit unhinged when he intruded his business into my affairs. But I'd draw the line after "raving" but before "nutcake", and (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

Jeremy, I have to agree with every point you made perhaps a better way Andreas could have gone about it would be to post to lugnet.marketplace that he has these deals and that if anyone wanted to be notified by email in the future they should send (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) agreed (...) Actually, I was serious. I wasn't challenging your use, just asking. (...) thinking (...) Sorry. I was trying to be funny and serious at the same time. It's a tightwire act and maybe I just fell to my death. (...) Well, I did a (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) I believe that currently their use is in Martha Stewart's TV show (and other productions). However, they were catchphrases in a popular spoof history book when I was a kid called "1066 and all that" along with verdicts on various rulers (eg (...) (24 years ago, 25-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Don't be a hypocrite. Using this logic, you have stole my valuable time. In all honesty, I would rather delete an email than have to wade through junk like this original post in the market newsgroup. The funny thing is, the most you can (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Christopher, I think you're a bit over the line on this one. I'd highly suggest instead asking your auction winners at that time if they want to be added to a list, and only e-mail them if the say yes. (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Andreas, while you may mean this sincerly, this is a completely standard thing for *all* spam to say, whether you've actually have purchased from them before or not. Once you get enough spam, your eyes tend to glaze over upon seeing these (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  RE: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

First off, let me say it's always best to err on the side of caution with mass mailings. As others have said, when constructing an auction/sale notification list the default should be *not* adding them; only add those who respond asking to be on (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Just make it clear to people what kind of list they're getting on (was: Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno)

(...) I've had an auction e-mail announcement/distro/mailing list (with the default being to stay on rather than be dropped off) since 1994 and I can't remember anyone ever getting rabid about being mailed -- only polite requests to be removed from (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

You need a new ISP. Most I've ever seen only charge if you consistently go over your mail spool. I'm allowed a 10Meg mail spool, though I swear I've gone over it by a LOT a few times. Any decent ISP will split disk space up into Spool, Account, and (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

Hi Chris, I started reading this thread from the beginning and quickly came to the conclusion that someone should say something to make these "lego spam haters" settle down. They are a noisy minority and I've found to my detriment that ignoring them (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I got this also, but the thing is *I don't mind*. I bought some LEGO from him before and was satisfied with it. I feel its reasonable for him to send this out to people he has dealt with before, its should as simple as asking to get off his (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) Is there a prior notification that you'll be put on the list? To me, that's a crucial distinction. But I don't see why getting added to a sales list should *ever* be an automatic thing, even for Auczilla. Opt-in is the way. Even those of us (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) He had the opportunity to do that while I was doing business with him. And hey, it'd have been the polite thing to do. (...) You are one mean hombre. While I am genuinely angry with Andreas' actions, I would never compare him to Publisher's (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Thanks but no thanks

Tom, Chris, Larry, Matt, and Todd (and others): thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it. Everyone else: Hey, you know what guys? Forget it. It's been made clear to me that this particular raving nutcake, noisy whiner, hypocrite, hater, and (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) with (...) of (...) Jeremy, here is where I personally can't find one ounce of support for you anymore. You are over-reacting. Stop it. You are going to cut yourself off from a great community because a few people disagreed with your handling (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

Jeremy, I just read through this entire thread out of curiosity. Man, what is going on here? You are a little spaz. If you don't want to get solicitation emails from this guy, put him on ignore, man. Don't like the fact that you are charged for (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) I always try to stay neutral in these mud slings, but I have to agree with Paul. No one should get you mad enough to quit any part of LUGNET. We all disagree at times, we just shouldn't take it personnally. And yet we always do take it (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  No thanks to farewell speeches, you better not leave (was Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) Now now, Jeremy. Don't overreact. You may be a raving nutcake but you're *our* kind of raving nutcake. Some people don't agree with your stance on this issue, but that's not the same as not being welcome here. Heck, even *I* feel welcome here (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) In my professional opinion, it is definitely Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), which is definitely SPAM. Before you ask, yes, there was a time when a major ISP payed me to determine things like this. (...) Doesn't matter the source, the fact (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) I used to know of a couple of online resources, but I don't know offhand where they are or if they still exist, so I'll try to sum up: There are several different kinds of things that fall into the heading of "Spam". One of these things is (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) <snippage> You missed Jeremy's point. (Yes, he was being extreme - but no more so than any number of people that post regularly, and far less than some) UCE is wrong & bad, and all that stuff. People are welcome to make an honest living - they (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

Sproaticus skrev i meddelandet ... (...) with (...) of (...) Jeremy, take a beer and cool down, and then hopefully you decide to stay with lugnet. I agree completely with your feelings about unwanted emails, and I also think outbursts are needed (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: No thanks to farewell speeches, you better not leave (was Re: Thanks but no thanks

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G1ID2H.I2u@lugnet.com... (...) there's (...) at (...) point it (...) Exactly. (...) more (...) beneath (...) key (...) space (...) A great speech by Larry here - but I just wanna add (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: No thanks to farewell speeches, you better not leave (was Re: Thanks but no thanks

Jeremy, While we have had an occasional defferance of opinion, I think you are a valuable member of the community, I hope you don't go, and I hope something does come of this discussion, mainly that we should be responsible with other people's (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

Followups set to off-topic.geek (...) OK everything Eric says here is true but I just wanted to referance a book I have on the subject (Yes there is a book on it) Book: Stopping SPAM By Alan Schwartz & Simson Garfinkel Publisher O'Reilly Here is a (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Amazon.com URL-hacking tip: You can safely delete the qid= and sr= stuff as well as the session-ID at the end. "qid=" stands for (I think) "query ID" and the "ref=" is the referring category on their website (not a referring associate ID or (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

Though I can't (nor do I want to) refute your definition of spam, I feel that in this situation -- Lugnet being the 'friendliest place on the web' -- a little patience is in order. Is spam bad? Yes. Are unsolicited phone calls bad? Yes. Am I adamant (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) The protocol for handling some LEGO spam from Andreas shouldn't be. It seems a world of difference (even if it's one of degree instead of kind) from spambots latching on to you and offering nudigifs incesantly. Chris (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) I seem to remember something to that but the "details are fuzzy" so don't remember specifically. (...) I can see that, Auczilla *IS* a opt in list you do have to sign up, the only place I remember seeing the opt out stuff is in the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) And those names + that publisher makes it a pretty authoritative book. (...) And Todd fixed this one. :) (...) Hurrah! (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) You know, even _I_ am tweaked by how inappropriate this note is. Chris (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) I've seen something like this happen about three dozen times on list and newsgroups and such. Prety quickly, I developed the stance of "well, bye." The round of pleading with the person "not to go," "to please stay," "we all long for tidbits (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) OK PEOPLE, I have tried for days to ignore this abuse on both side for the past couple of days. A few have taken this to a level that it should have never reached. A new all time low. PLEASE, PULL UP, STOP, CEASE, LET IT GO. I hate spam as (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) to (...) Hokay, I have no idea what's going on here, I just know this is one big mess that will probably never get cleaned up. Anyway, I just noticed: This thread has 54 messages in it (55 counting mine). Is that some kind of world record, or (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

In lugnet.general, Daniel S. Allen writes: Anyway, I just noticed: This thread (...) Heh, far from it. I ahve seen threads span into the upper reaches of 100. There may have even been a >200 post thread. Think: Age Limitations and NELUG... Greg (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) Not even close... I don't know what the overall record for LUGNET is but check out the Age Limitations thread in org.us.nelug it got about 250 posts in just 2 days back in July. The NELUG thread might not be a record for overall posts but it (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) check (...) 2 (...) (URL) a lot... -Chris (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) Thus you have the means to prevent them and block addresses. MY point was that with the tiniest, tiniest bit of effort, the inconvenience is gone. It would have taken him far less time to block the address than rant on LUGNET. I can already (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) check (...) 2 (...) Not to mention being far more caustic than this thread (or at least the 70% or so of it I've read). Frank (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) There is a common thread here though... GDR... Frank (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

OK, OK Everybody just calm down a bit. This is just all out of proportions. According to the Lugnet rules your not allowed to use alias's or nicknames. You see a few of them around though. Is this a big deal? Are we going to be this picky? I am not (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley writes about stopping SPAM It can be easy to report abuse. I regularly get the tiny satisfaction of a reply from Excite or Yahoo that they cancelled the reply-to account. Use Spamcop.net and all you have to do is (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) blacklisting, (...) I'm a proud Spamcop user too....all my zacktron.com email filters through there first - in fact, some of you may have gotten that 'email blocked by spamcop, click this link to send through' message ;-) I like Spamcop, but I (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Beware more SPAM from Andreas Stabno (Was: KC Masterpieces)

(...) [snip] (...) For the record, this is not true. The people you see posting using handles are *not* violating the terms of service, which say: (do not) Post using a pseudonym, alias, screen-name, handle, alter-ego, meno, or any other type of (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.terms)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) (URL) ef=aps_sr_b_1_3/103-...85-1703832 (...) "LUGNET" added to it through your URL forwarding software (Sorry if thats not the right terminology for it but that is what it appears to be to me). I will keep it in mind for future referance. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) I don't mean to drag this thread out, cos lord knows it's gone on long enough already, but I really have to disagree. I've been seeing a lot of people toe the same line you are- that because it come from someone on Lugnet, and they were (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) Fixing symptoms does not fix problems. (...) Yup, you're right. It's much easier to just ignore/delete/block spam than it is to try and do something to correct it. So? If my neighbor's fence breaks, putting the cow back in his yard won't help, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) c/payed/paid/ unless your investigations involved being lowered by rope vertically downward over the edge of buildings or cliffs, and to peer into the dens of spammers and see what they were up to (1). (2) 1 - Bond, *ERIC* Bond... and yes, he (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) No, I did mean "paid". Ooops. Any hanging from ropes and peering into people's windows is strictly done on my own time. eric (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Thinking of hanging from ropes and looking into windows, several years ago, I observed that the window washers were using caving originated rapel gear to lower themselves down the wall to do the windows. (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

(...) Just nitpicking here, not sure of the overall relevance, but... Bad analogy. (having tried and failed to move cows and having actually fixed fences). It's a LOT easier to fix a fence that doesn't want to be fixed than to move a cow that (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) determine (...) the (...) Caving or climbing? I thought climbing was a bigger hobby (not *better* mind you, I know you're a caver through and through). Caver or Spelunker? The latter term is out of favor, no? Why? Rapel or Rappel? (just can't (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) My understanding is that spelunkers are loser wannabes who get stuck in places they shouldn't be and have to be rescued by cavers. Or something like that. (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Distribution List Detonation

This thread certainly has exploded over the last few days and I have made an effort to read every post. Some have deeply infuriated me [1]; some provided for valuable new understanding; and overall it has been a valuable discussion. I've resisted (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) I vote for it being acceptable to send a one-time note to those on your list (minus those individuals who have already made it clear via Lugnet they don't wish to receive your notices) asking for a response from those who wish to opt-in. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) Wow. A clear move to show that you want to do business in a way that conforms to netiquette, even though you personally disagree. That is definitely a respectable position, and I applaud you for it. (...) My suggestion may surprise you: If I (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) Well, it isn't fine craftsmanship or anything, but as a result of this thread, I sent the note below this text to my listees and deleted my mailing list. I am now rebuilding it as an opt-in only list. In the 18 hours since I sent my note, I've (...) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) <snip> Out of curiousity, 21 responses out of how many recipients? eric (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:G1GpwM.9qL@lugnet.com... (...) Here's a good one: (URL) sets and parts for sale or trade: (URL) (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) thread, (...) Actually, I meant to include that. I don't have the list anymore because I deleted it, but I think it was around 170 or so. Chris (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) On the basis that he's already made his preference (duh!) clear? Or on the basis of it being likely to provoke further seismic events? <GD&R?> ++Lar (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Distribution List Detonation

(...) A little from column A, a little from column B. Mostly column A. eric (24 years ago, 29-Sep-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Sale announcements (Was Beware more SPAM...)

(...) Caving. Rappel equipment certainly did originate with climbers, but the rappel rack is definitely a caver invention (and what I saw the window washers using is definitely a rappel rack like the kind invented by cavers). I think some climbers (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Thanks but no thanks

I was on vacation last week, so it is a bit late, but I read most of the thread. Hey man, don't you overreact a bit? We all know your contributions and such, and you should know that a hobby without sharing is just a little bit more than nothing. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.auction)