 CAD / Development / 574
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:23:17 GMT

Karim (knassar@mindspring.com) wrote:

[...]

It seems to me that the only reason on TLG's part to have
2 seperate numbers and then one different aggregate number
for a specific color is to provide for a situation in
which the two pieces are different colors (ie: black top,
yellow bottom).  That's the only reason that make sense to
me to have such a screwy numbering scheme.  Given that,
maybe we should enter the boat as 2 seperate pieces (top
and bottom) 30086 and 30087 with a shortcut hard-coded in
yellow called 4106548.  In the off-chance that TLG ever
releases a set with different colors, we can then worry
about whether to release a new part or just stay with the
3 files.

I am aware of the problems with using a different number for
the part file than the one (visibly) stamped on the part,
but I think it would be sufficient if a comment in the
dinghy bottom (and top) file notes that this part is
intended to be used together with part 30086 (30087 for the
top part), and then lists the current official shortcuts for
the complete dinghy (only 4106548 right now).

Then, when the black-grey Zodiac appears, we'll just create
a new shortcut file and add it to the comments in
"30086.dat" and "30087.dat".

Play well,

Jacob

        --  E-mail:         sparre@nbi.dk         --