 CAD / Development / 488
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:16:47 GMT

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:47:44 GMT, Karim <knassar@mindspring.com> wrote:

It seems to me that the only reason on TLG's part to have 2 seperate numbers and
then one different aggregate number for a specific color is to provide for a
situation in which the two pieces are different colors (ie: black top, yellow
bottom).  That's the only reason that make sense to me to have such a screwy
numbering scheme.

I think TLG's numbering always boils down to manufacturing and inventory
control.  A part number is needed for each molded part, so each subpart
needs its own number.  And the aggregate, post-gluing part needs a
number to track its insertion into sets.

Heck, the baggies of parts probably have their own numbers.

Steve