 CAD / Development / 340
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:56:52 GMT

Sproaticus wrote in message ...
Terry Keller writes:
The yellow dinghy in the vote is numbered 30086.
So what to do?
  Use the 4106548 for the yellow version, and add a tan one later?

My vote would be to use the part number that people can see with out takeing
apart the boat, i.e. the 30086 number.  The 30087 number is only of value if
you take the boat apart.  Somthing I feel very few people will be willing to
do.  And certainly don't hard code it yellow! The 410xxxx number is of no
value in identifying the part.  It is simply a tracking mechanism internal
to TLG.  I vote for using the number that we can see; the one that is
userful in identifying the part.

This topic seems to be comming up with every parts vote now.  Wasn't it the
chrome antenna last time?  I though we solved that by not using the specific
chrome part number...

  Give up and give it a 3-digit number and ignore all other numbers?

Bad, no, can't.  3-digit numbers are increasingly rare, so this should only • be
done as an absolute, final resort.

I Agree.  This isn't a good solution.

Some more problems from the current vote:  (from Joshua Delahunty)
81155 is always black, with a yellow pattern

There is some precedent here, and it helps shoot down my earlier suggestion
(see above).  For example, the Train Caternary Holder (2880) is always • black
(as far as I have seen), but is color 16 in the LDraw parts library.

There are red 'Train Cantenary Holders', so your 'black always' rule doesn't
hold here.