 CAD / Development / 619
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:29:36 GMT

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:42:26 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:46:51 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 23:46:47 GMT, "onyx" <onyx@flash.net> wrote:

The problem is a bit more narrow than [hard-colored files for basic pieces].  Basic
pieces, like the 1x2 brick,
are not affected by all this numbering/coloring controversy.  Those pieces had
a simple part number that is common to all the colors.  So we would NOT be
having multiple colors of those pieces.

I wonder -- are there color-specific part numbers for the dinghy,
because it is a compound element?  So if we publish two sub-files, and
no shortcut, we skip the whole issue.

But not publishing a shortcut seems really lame.  The "part" is final
product that we've most-all pulled out of a LEGO box and said to
ourselves "What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports possessed them to make
this thing?"

So it comes down to this:
1.  Include the piece as a #16 part - but use a three-digit number for it.
2.  Include a second "shortcut" type file for the piece that is the correct
color, and has the correct number.

Or:

3. Add a comment to the part, listing the official part number(s) and
identifying the specific version to which they refer.

4. Use the known color/treatment-specific part number as the number for
the color 16 part file.

5. For patterned parts, stick to the nnnnnPxx.dat identification method.
This is more important on general-use patterns, which are used on more
than one color brick.

PRO's:
a.  there is usually no marked number on the piece, so this will usually
    not cause any confusion from looking at the piece and seeing a
    number on it.  And if there is a number, using it will bring up the
    _exact_ piece, in the _exact_ color.

I will be surprised if there is a 7xxxx number stamped on a part.  I
think the stamped numbers will always be in the simple-part range (4
digit and 3xxxx).

c.  For pieces with special finishes we could, if we want, have a special
    category specifically for those pieces.  That would help segregate them
    away from the basic #16 colored versions.

Or we could just flag them as not being real parts, most likely by
putting a tilde (~) on the front of name.

I fully support the idea that the LDraw parts library should be useful
as a parts-reference resource.  But the primary purpose of the LDraw
library is to enable creation of Lego-style models on the computer.  The
parts-reference aspect should not hinder the modeling aspect.

Now, it is primarily for modeling.  At least that is what most people see.
That is what I see it for.   And what I use it for.
Though I firmly believe that James' original intent was as a parts-reference.
One that was as accurate as possible.    I have no doubt that was his intent
and would probably be his wish for the program.  With that in mind, I do think
it would be best to try to keep the parts-reference function as much as
possible.

Good point.  But do we *know* what James would want to do to resolve
this situation?  Did he have to deal with any of the 7xxxx series
numbers?

I believe that doing it as outlined above will satisfy the most people, with
the least amount of grumbling.  Not doing it as above will alienate one group
or the other.  So to me, that is the best compromise.

All grumbling and nit-picking aside, I agree with you, more or less.

Steve