 CAD / Development / 335
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:17:20 GMT

Terry Keller writes:
Everyone,

We are facing a major problem in numbering parts in LDraw.  For quite some • time
I have been trying to follow a 3 rule plan for numbering pieces:
1.  Full accuracy when possible
2.  Use official TLG numbers if we have them
3.  Use temporary 3-digit numbers for unkowns.

Some things to think about:

It would be irritating in Ldraw to have to page through lists that look like
this:
xxxxx.dat   Blah blah blah X blah Tr. Yellow-Green
yyyyy.dat   Blah blah blah X blah Gold
zzzzz.dat   Blah blah blah X blah White
etc., etc.  It's bad enough to page through the same part with 10 patterns,
but there's no way around that.  For those who use the VEC, who wants three
duplicates with no difference other than color?

OTOH, Ldraw parts are used for more than just Ldrawing.  They have become a
standard for referencing Lego part numbers.  For this reason, it doesn't
really make sense to use a 3-digit number for a part when we do know at least
one correct part number.  Additionally, it would be nice to be able to look at
any physical part and input the part number and have it show up in Ldraw.

One solution:
The first time we find a part number connected with a physical part, say part
#1, we use it for that part, coded color 16.  Additional numbers used for the
same part could be added as, say 2.dat file with reference to part 1.dat, but
put a "~" (or other identifier) in front of the part description so that it
would sort at the end.  Comments could be added to the part files which would
explain that part 1.dat only comes in gold, and 2.dat only comes in chrome.

As for the inflatable boat, I'm pretty sure you want to add the separate top
and bottom halves as separate parts and then add the joined part number as a
shortcut file:  all in color 16.

-John Van