 CAD / Development / 610
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 04:58:22 GMT

Karim Nassar writes:
I agree wholeheartedly... The point I tried to make earlier, was that it seems • that
by giveing seperate part numbers to the part, TLG is leaveing open the • possibility
in the future to release a part that is in two SEPARATE colors.  So, my • question
is, how does one choose any color he wants if only the aggregate part is
available.  Thats why I think we should have two files...
--Karim

great point.. and well thought-out... hmmmm... okay... so then as i see it we
have two options..

#1 (my preference, since this is how we handle two halves of every hinge,
wheel-tyre combo, etc.. true, they aren't glued together, but rarely do you
see tires without wheels in them)... is to have NO AGGREGATE elements... just
make both parts as separate elements, each with their own part number, both
in color 16 and let the modeler combine them manually... the numbers will be
adjacent in the catalog so it isn't like a big search will have to ensue to
find the other half.. i'm not real big on shortcuts... and in the case of
minifigs.. lack of shortcuts is what brings us things like steve's minifig
modeler.. we need more of that type of production...

#2 create both halves as stated in option #1, then have a single aggregate
number that is also only in color 16... we can use the first aggregate we have
come across (i don't remember tje number exactly, but terry's earlier posts had
it).. that way you can drop in either half, each with their own color.. or a
whole part all done in the color of your choice... sure we believe the first
aggregate part number to be for yellow only, but so what??? either we care
about mimicking the TLG catalog exactly or we don't... and that's where the
decision in this all lies...