 CAD / Development / 390
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:46:21 GMT

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 02:05:00 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

The yellow dinghy in the vote is numbered 30086.  That is the imprinted number
for the lower portion only.  The top is 30087.  The aggregate number for both
is 4106548.  But that number is _only_ for the yellow version.
Any other color (like tan) would be different.

Damn. They noticed.  After the chrome antenna fiasco, I swore to keep my
mouth shut, and not point out potential part-number mixups.

Actually, I forgot all about that little trivial bit of part-numbering
reality on the obviously two-parts-joined dinghy (maybe it should be
called a launch? Whatever).

Does TLG code the color as some of the digits in the seven-digit number?
Can we skip the color-code, and use the other digits for the LDraw part
number?

If someone has a spare dinghy they don't mind destroying, I'd be
interested in finding out how the parts are joined.  I'm assuming they
are welded (or glued) together.  As I just sold all my spare dinghies, I
don't have a part to sacrifice for the cause.

BTW, I still feel that the number stamped on the bottom of the dinghy is
more useful than some number in an official parts list, unavailable to
most people.

I'm going to cut this one off, and reply to the actual point of Terry's
message in a separate follow-up.

Steve