 CAD / Development / 584
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 04:50:51 GMT

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:25:09 GMT, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre
Andersen) wrote:

Terry K (legoverse@geocities.com) comments Karim's "30086.dat"
and "30087.dat" in colour 16, and "4106548.dat" in yellow/yellow
suggestion (which I support):

The problem with that solution is that we would then have the 4106548 hard
coded as yellow.  And when the tan version is released are we then going to
have another 410xxxx for it - hard coded to tan?

Yes. The problem is that this is a multi-mold part which is
likely to appear in colour combinations as well as in a
single colour.

This would lead us down the road to having multiple versions of parts.
I would prefer to have one basic version of the part, color being
user-selectable.

What about just having "30086.dat" and "30087.dat" in colour
16 as the official parts, and then let people insert the two
parts themselves.

- the parts will always be listed next to each other.
- the parts will always need the same location and
  orientation (hopefully).

So it shouldn't be much more work to insert the two molds
instead of the collected part.

For now, that would be a good solution. Of course, Steve would need to split
the pieces first.

Whatever we do, we should apply the same rule to other
multi-mold parts (such as the 2x2x5 girdered column).

What was the final decision on the chrome antennae?

I finally just released it as 104.dat in color 16.  A compromise of sorts.  The
problem is, other pieces will (do) have the same problem.  The fact is, many
pieces having 3xxxx or 7xxxx part numbers refer to that piece as a certain
color.  Unlike the typical 4-digit numbers molded on pieces that refer to the
piece no matter what the color.

There are four "dimensions" to our problem:

1) Single-mold or multi-mold part?
2) None, one, or more visible numbers? (more than one only
   applicable for multi-mold parts)
3) Know or don't know mold-numbers (equal to part numbers
   for single-mold parts)?
4) No known part number, know any-colour part number, or
   know colour-specific part numbers?

Which have we decided how to handle until now?

Not sure I follow.  Generally, LDraw parts have used molded part numbers.
Unknown numbers get a 3-digit or less temporary number.
If the part number is found, the temporary number is updated.
But many part numbers that have been found refer to the part in a specific
color - so to use that number, the piece _should_ be colored appropriately.
That would be following James Jessiman's vision of LDraw as a parts database.

But that would mean having some pieces hard-coded in their specific colors.
Something that many people object to.  They want the ability to color a piece
as they see fit - whether it exists or not.
Perhaps a compromise and have pieces hard-coded under their actual number, and
a copy in #16 with a 3-digit number?
But many people object to the duplication of pieces and file bloat that would
cause.

One thing everybody seems to want is that there should be a
part file for each number parts appear with (visible).
Whether it should be the part/mold the number belongs to or
the one it seems to belong to to the "casual observer" is
certainly something we still have to decide.

Another thing we all seem to agree on is that there should
be a file for every mold.

Should we make files for multi-mold parts? (And which number
should they have?)

More later,

All hard questions.  As pointed out to me, this program originally started out
as a way to document parts.  Accuracy was important to James.  And to carry on
his vision of the program would require us to add pieces numbered and colored
accurately.

-- Terry K --