 CAD / Development / 500
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:32:45 GMT

That way, as Ldraw parts become more of a standard for people talking • about
parts, they will be able to input whatever number is imprinted on their • part
and find get the ldraw picture of it.

Why don't we reference these part numbers as comments in the part-file,
perhaps on a 0 KEYWORDS line?  Although that would be a headache to deal
with, making sure that all new parts get all the appropriate part
numbers...

That still wouldn't make it possible in Ldraw to (I)nsert a new piece,
change the (P)art number, then type the part number of the part which is in
your hand, and have it inserted.  Multi-part parts are a problem, of course.
But at least if you typed in the number for the bottom of the dinghy, you
would get the bottom section of it (maybe with a comment giving the complete
shortcut file) instead of nothing.

I don't think we really need to worry about adding too many part files, as
long as they don't gum up the description list when it is sorted by
description.

-John Van

-John Van