 CAD / Development / 499
Re: parts wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:13:48 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:40:46 GMT, Fredrik Glöckner
<fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote:

at the website

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/

BTW, the part "2853 Technic Crankshaft" is probably "impossible" to make
properly in LDraw.  This is because of the way the Technic axles are
constructed in LDraw; the ends are not rounded as in real life.

I'm not following the problem, here.

I probably did a bad job at explaining what is wrong.

Looking at the 2853 part with the grey axle pointing towards you, you'll
see a round hole in the grey surface next to the axle which sticks out.
(This hole is rectangular on some versions of the part, but it doesn't
make it any more easy.)

Now, the problem I experienced is this.  Put an axle into the axle hole
on the other side of the part.  This axle protrudes 10 LDU's into the
2853 part.  Ideally, the only part of this axle visible should be a
round disc, visible through the round hole on the front, the hole I
mentioned in the paragraph above.  But with the "collar" of the part
being 10 LDU thick, which is the correct thing, not only the round disc,
but also the outline of the axle end is visible.  This happens because
the surface of the 2853 part and the surface of the axle end are
coincident.

What you see may differ due to various parameters, such as rendering
program used, viewpoint and so on.  I remember getting a dirty surface
where the two coincident surfaces met.

I hope this was more clear.  Please ask more questions if it is not.

Fredrik