 CAD / Development / 476
Re: parts wanted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:40:46 GMT

legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:

dk grey "offset" crankshaft piece

I believe those are on the way. By Fredrik.  He just submitted the
Technic round piston, and is working on the other engine parts.

Yes, I'm working on those.  But work progress is slow.  I have drafts
for

    2852 Technic Connecting Rod
    2853 Technic Crankshaft
    2854 Technic Crankshaft Centre

at the website

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw/

I'm planning to finish off these by some time, but don't hold your
breath!  If you really need some of the parts, you're welcome to help me
with the authoring.  You can just start off where my work has
temporarily been suspended.

BTW, the part "2853 Technic Crankshaft" is probably "impossible" to make
properly in LDraw.  This is because of the way the Technic axles are
constructed in LDraw; the ends are not rounded as in real life.

As a result, if the part is made such that the offset "collar" is 10 LDU
thick, which is the correct thickness, the axle will be visible through
the collar.  And this is, obviously, wrong.  As a compromise, I have
made the offset thingey slightly thicker, 10.2 LDU, which fixes the
problem, but will introduce other problems when used in certain
configurations in an actual model.

Do anybody care to reflect as to what is the "proper" way to do this?

Fredrik