 CAD / Development / 433
Re: Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:49:12 GMT

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:39:31 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

The problem with that solution is that we would then have the 4106548 hard
coded as yellow.  And when the tan version is released are we then going to
have another 410xxxx for it - hard coded to tan?
That may not seem like a big deal, until you think about using this method for
other parts - parts that may well come in many colors.  Then, using that
method, we would end up with a lot of duplicate parts in different colors.
This would lead us down the road to having multiple versions of parts.  I would
prefer to have one basic version of the part, color being user-selectable.

Is it not possible to say in the definition of 410etc., like:

top half yellow,
lower half yellow underneath.

That way, the only information in the 410etc file is the color, and
which constituents parts there are. Then if anything needs to changed,
you can change in the 30xxxx part.

Jasper "No idea whether it'd work" Janssen