 CAD / Development / 432
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:40:03 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:28:59 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Not a problem.  I'd probably nix the CGI on something like that, though, and
serve static .dat files for parts.  (Apache can to be told to serve static
.dat files as application/x-ldraw just as easily as CGI scripts can send DAT
content that way, but CGI scripts incur the additional overhead of starting up
a command interpreter).

Isn't there something you can do to have just *one* perl interpreter
running, that does all the CGIing, instead of starting up all these
processes?

Jasper "can't imagine at what PID that server is by now" Janssen

You can use FastCGI (http://www.fastcgi.com/) to have one process (or a fixed
group of processes) serving CGI requests so you don't have the overhead of
restarting the process (interpreter or otherwise) for each request.  I used it
for the Lego set database I made a few years ago (for the program that queries
the Postgres interface and creates the page of the set information) and for the
Ultima Online beta test account verification page, it worked very well for both
tasks.