 CAD / Development / 405
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:45:17 GMT

[removed lugnet.cad from Newsgroups line]

In lugnet.cad.dev, gregw@mindspring.com (Greg Williams) writes:
Yes, definitely if as an app would you have all the files locally.  I was
talking about an applet that would not.  You don't want to have to download the
entire zip file every time because it would be fairly large.  Having
individually compressed part files would decrease the amount of download.  As
far as making updates easier, that isn't an issue.  You could run a daemon to
autocompress the files in the directory, or you could compress the file as part
of the processing when a request is made.  We could even use a Java Servlet
instead of perl to process the requests.  I've had experience with those as
well, and they're faster than perl scripts in processing requests.

I think the speed comparison depends on whether you use mod_perl or CGI+Perl
or a specialized Perl HTTP daemon.  Of course, if the code running on the
server is Java, a Servlet is almost certainly the way to go.

Heck, you
could write a Servlet to render a gif or jpeg image and return that to a web
browser without needing an applet on the client.  I don't know if that would be
too much to ask of a server, though.  Todd, what do you think of that?

What would be a typical rendering time for an average model on a PIII/500?

--Todd