 CAD / Development / 419
Re: Java LDraw/LDLite
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:51:41 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I think the speed comparison depends on whether you use mod_perl or CGI+Perl
or a specialized Perl HTTP daemon.  Of course, if the code running on the
server is Java, a Servlet is almost certainly the way to go.

There is a servlet program plugin for Apache on Linux or NT at
http://www.newatlanta.com.  We're using the IIS version of it on NT.  It is nice
and speedy for java servlets.  I assume the lugnet server is Linux.

Heck, you
could write a Servlet to render a gif or jpeg image and return that to a web
browser without needing an applet on the client.  I don't know if that would be
too much to ask of a server, though.  Todd, what do you think of that?

What would be a typical rendering time for an average model on a PIII/500?

Hmm... how long does it take ldlite to render an average model?  It would be
somewhat more time than that because java isn't as fast, but certainly no more
than 50% longer.
--
-----
Greg Williams